U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
Notice of the OMB review of information collection and solicitation of public comment.
The NRC has recently submitted to OMB for review the following proposal for the collection of information under the provisions of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. Chapter 35). The NRC hereby informs potential respondents that an agency may not conduct or sponsor, and that a person is not required to respond to, a collection of information unless it displays a current valid OMB control number.
1. Type of submission, new, revision, or extension: Revision.
2. The title of the information collection: 10 CFR Part 72, Licensing Requirements for the Independent Storage of Spent Nuclear Fuel and High-Level Radioactive Waste.
3. The form number if applicable: Not applicable.
4. How often the collection is required: Required reports are collected and evaluated on a continuing basis as events occur; submittal of reports varies from less than one per year under some rule sections to up to an average of about 100 per year under other rule sections. Applications for new licenses, certificates of compliance (CoCs), and amendments may be submitted at anytime; applications for renewal of licenses are required every 20 years for an Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation (ISFSI) or Certificate of Compliance (CoC) and every 40 years for a Monitored Retrievable Storage (MRS) facility.
5. Who will be required or asked to report: Certificate holders of casks for the storage of spent fuel, licensees and applicants for a license to possess power reactor spent fuel and other radioactive materials associated with spent fuel storage in an ISFSI, and the Department of Energy for licenses to receive, transfer, package and possess power Start Printed Page 12505reactor spent fuel, high-level waste, and other radioactive materials associated with spent fuel and high-level waste storage in an MRS.
6. An estimate of the number of responses: 370 (320 responses + 50 recordkeepers).
7. The estimated number of annual respondents: 50.
8. An estimate of the number of hours needed annually to complete the requirement or request: 25,551 (22,781 hours for reporting [71 hours per response] and 2,770 hours for recordkeeping [55 hours per recordkeeper]).
9. An indication of whether Section 3507(d), Public Law 104-13 applies: Not applicable.
10. Abstract: 10 CFR part 72 establishes mandatory requirements, procedures, and criteria for the issuance of licenses to receive, transfer, and possess power reactor spent fuel and other radioactive materials associated with spent fuel storage in an ISFSI, and requirements for the issuance of licenses to the Department of Energy to receive, transfer, package, and possess power reactor spent fuel and high-level radioactive waste, and other associated radioactive materials, in an MRS. The information in the applications, reports and records is used by NRC to make licensing and other regulatory determinations.
A copy of the final supporting statement may be viewed free of charge at the NRC Public Document Room, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Room O-1 F23, Rockville, MD 20852. OMB clearance requests are available at the NRC World Wide Web site: http://www.nrc.gov/public-involve/doc-comment/omb/index.html. The document will be available on the NRC home page site for 60 days after the signature date of this notice.
Comments and questions should be directed to the OMB reviewer listed below by April 13, 2005. Comments received after this date will be considered if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given to comments received after this date. John A. Asalone, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (3150-0132), NEOB-10202, Office of Management and Budget, Washington, DC 20503.
Comments can also be e-mailed to John_A._Asalone@omb.eop.gov or submitted by telephone at (202) 395-4650.
The NRC Clearance Officer is Brenda Jo. Shelton, 301-415-7233.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 8th day of March, 2005.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Brenda Jo. Shelton,
NRC Clearance Officer, Office of Information Services.
[FR Doc. 05-4925 Filed 3-11-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P