Department of Defense (DoD).
Proposed rule with request for comments.
DoD is proposing to amend the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to update text addressing the use of simplified acquisition procedures. This proposed rule is a result of a transformation initiative undertaken by DoD to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS.
Comments on the proposed rule should be submitted in writing to the address shown below on or before June 13, 2005, to be considered in the formation of the final rule.
You may submit comments, identified by DFARS Case 2003-D075, using any of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- Defense Acquisition Regulations Web site: http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf/pubcomm. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include DFARS Case 2003-D075 in the subject line of the message.
- Fax: (703) 602-0350.
- Mail: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Attn: Ms. Robin Schulze, OUSD (AT&L) DPAP (DAR), IMD 3C132, 3062 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-3062.
- Hand Delivery/Courier: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Crystal Square 4, Suite 200A, 241 18th Street, Arlington, VA 22202-3402.
All comments received will be posted to http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ms. Robin Schulze, (703) 602-0326.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
DFARS Transformation is a major DoD initiative to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS. The objective is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the acquisition process, while allowing the acquisition workforce the flexibility to innovate. The transformed DFARS will contain only requirements of law, DoD-wide policies, delegations of FAR authorities, deviations from FAR requirements, and policies/procedures that have a significant effect beyond the internal operating procedures of DoD or a significant cost or administrative impact on contractors or offerors. Additional information on the DFARS Transformation initiative is available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dfars/transf.htm.
This proposed rule is a result of the DFARS Transformation initiative. The proposed changes—
- Update and consolidate text on the use of imprest funds and third-party drafts at DFARS 213.305;
- Delete unnecessary cross-references at DFARS 213.7001 and 213.7003-2; and
- Delete guidance on the use of unilateral contract modifications at DFARS 213.302-3, and delete procedures for use of forms at DFARS 213.307, 253.213, and 253.213-70. This text will be relocated to the new DFARS companion resource, Procedures, Guidance, and Information, available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dars/pgi.
This rule was not subject to Office of Management and Budget review under Executive Order 12866, dated September 30, 1993.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
DoD does not expect this rule to have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities within the meaning of the Regulatory Flexibility Act, 5 U.S.C. 601, et seq., because the rule makes no significant change to DoD contracting policy. Therefore, DoD has not performed an initial regulatory flexibility analysis. DoD invites comments from small businesses and other interested parties. DoD also will consider comments from small entities concerning the affected DFARS subparts in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 610. Such comments should be submitted separately and should cite DFARS Case 2003-D075.
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply because the rule does not impose any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501, et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Parts 213 and 253End List of Subjects Start Signature
Michele P. Peterson,
Editor, Defense Acquisition Regulations System.
Therefore, DoD proposes to amend 48 CFR Parts 213 and 253 as follows:
1. The authority citation for 48 CFR Parts 213 and 253 continues to read as follows:Start Part
PART 213—SIMPLIFIED ACQUISITION PROCEDURES
2. Section 213.302-3 is amended by revising paragraph (2) to read as follows:
(2) See PGI 213.302-3 for guidance on the use of unilateral modifications.
3. Section 213.305-1 is removed.
4. Section 213.305-3 is revised to read as follows:
(d)(i) On a very limited basis, installation commanders and commanders of other activities with contracting authority may be granted authority to establish imprest funds and third party draft (accommodation check) accounts. Use of imprest funds and third party drafts must comply with—
(A) DoD 7000.14-R, DoD Financial Management Regulation, Volume 5, Disbursing Policy and Procedures; and
(B) The Treasury Financial Manual, Volume I, Part 4, Chapter 3000.
(ii) Use of imprest funds requires approval by the Director for Financial Commerce, Office of the Deputy Chief Financial Officer, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller), except as provided in paragraph (d)(iii) of this subsection.
(iii) Imprest funds are authorized for use without further approval for—
(A) Overseas transactions at or below the micro-purchase threshold in support of a contingency operation as defined in 10 U.S.C. 101(a)(13) or a humanitarian or peacekeeping operation as defined in 10 U.S.C. 2302(7); and
(B) Classified transactions.
5. Section 213.307 is revised to read as follows:
See PGI 213.307 for procedures on use of forms for purchases made using simplified acquisition procedures.
6. Section 213.7001 is removed.
7. Sections 213.7002 and 213.7003 are redesignated as 213.7001 and 213.7002, respectively.
8. Newly designated section 213.7002 is revised to read as follows:
The contracting officer need not obtain a contractor's written acceptance of a purchase order or modification of a purchase order for an acquisition under the 8(a) Program pursuant to 219.804-2(2).
9. Sections 213.7003-1 and 213.7003-2 are removed.
10. Section 253.213 is revised to read as follows:
(f) DoD uses the DD Form 1155, Order for Supplies or Services, instead of OF 347; and OF 336, Continuation Sheet, instead of OF 348. Follow the procedures at PGI 253.213(f) for use of forms.
11. Section 253.213-70 is revised to read as follows:
Follow the procedures at PGI 253.213-70 for completion of DD Form 1155.
[FR Doc. 05-7095 Filed 4-11-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-08-P