30-day notice of information collection under review: firearms transaction record, part 1, over-the-counter.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register volume 70, number 61, page 16525 on March 31, 2005, allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public Start Printed Page 33761comment until July 11, 2005. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20503. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to (202) 395-5806. Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
- Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
- Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
- Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Revision of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Firearms Transaction Record, Part 1, Over-the-Counter.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF F 4473 (5300.9) Part 1. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or households. Other: Business or other for-profit. The form is used to determine the eligibility (under the Gun Control Act) of a person to receive a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee and to establish the identity of the buyer. It is also used in law enforcement investigations/inspections to trace firearms. The form has been revised to reflect recommended format and substantive changes requested by a variety of stake holders including licensees and Federal and state law enforcement agencies.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: It is estimated that 10,225,000 respondents will complete a 25 minute form.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 4,260,417 annual total burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Brenda E. Dyer, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: June 3, 2005.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 05-11439 Filed 6-8-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P