60-day notice of information collection under review: 2005 Census of State and Federal Correctional Facilities.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of Justice Programs (OJP), Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until August 15, 2005. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact James Stephan, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Justice, 810 7th Street, NW., Washington, DC 20531, (202) 616-3289.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection: Start Printed Page 34797
(1) Type of Information Collection: Reinstatement, with change, of a previously approved collection for which approval has expired.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: 2005 Census of State and Federal Correctional Facilities.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: CJ-43, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Federal, State, and District prison authorities. The Census of State and Federal Correctional Facilities obtains information on each type of facility designed to house adults sentenced to confinement by State, District, or Federal court. These facilities include prisons, penitentiaries, and correctional institutions; boot camps; prison farms; reception, diagnostic, and classification centers; road camps; forestry and conservation camps; youthful offender facilities (except in California); vocational training facilities; prison hospitals; drug and alcohol treatment facilities; and State operated local detention facilities.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 1,700 respondents will complete a 3-hour census form.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 5,100 total annual burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Brenda E. Dyer, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: June 10, 2005.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 05-11778 Filed 6-14-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18-P