Department of Defense (DoD).
Proposed rule with request for comments.
DoD is proposing to amend the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to update text on the use of specifications, standards, and data item descriptions in solicitations and contracts. This proposed rule is a result of a transformation initiative undertaken by DoD to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS.
Comments on the proposed rule should be submitted in writing to the address shown below on or before August 22, 2005, to be considered in the formation of the final rule.
You may submit comments, identified by DFARS Case 2003-D073, using any of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- Defense Acquisition Regulations Web Site: http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf/pubcomm. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- E-mail: email@example.com. Include DFARS Case 2003-D073 in the subject line of the message.
- Fax: (703) 602-0350.
- Mail: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Attn: Ms. Robin Schulze, OUSD(AT&L)DPAP(DAR), IMD 3C132, 3062 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-3062.
- Hand Delivery/Courier: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Crystal Square 4, Suite 200A, 241 18th Street, Arlington, VA 22202-3402.
All comments received will be posted to http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ms. Robin Schulze, (703) 602-0326.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
DFARS Transformation is a major DoD initiative to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS. The objective is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the acquisition process, while allowing the acquisition workforce the flexibility to innovate. The transformed DFARS will contain only requirements of law, DoD-wide policies, delegations of FAR authorities, deviations from FAR requirements, and policies/procedures that have a significant effect beyond the internal operating procedures of DoD or a significant cost or administrative impact on contractors or offerors. Additional information on the DFARS Transformation initiative is available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dfars/transf.htm.
This proposed rule is a result of the DFARS Transformation initiative. The proposed changes—
- Update references to the DoD 5000 series publications and the DoD database for specifications, standards, and data item descriptions; and
- Delete procedures for use of specifications, standards, and data item descriptions and for use of Single Process Initiative processes instead of military or Federal specifications and standards. Text on these subjects will be relocated to the new DFARS companion resource, Procedures, Guidance, and Information, available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dars/pgi.
This rule was not subject to Office of Management and Budget review under Executive Order 12866, dated September 30, 1993.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
DoD does not expect this rule to have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities within the meaning of the Regulatory Flexibility Act, 5 U.S.C. 601, et seq., because the rule makes no significant change to DoD policy for the use of requirements documents in solicitations and contracts. Therefore, DoD has not performed an initial regulatory flexibility analysis. DoD invites comments from small businesses and other interested parties. DoD also will consider comments from small entities concerning the affected DFARS subparts in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 610. Such comments should be submitted separately and should cite DFARS Case 2003-D073.
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply because the rule does not impose any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501, et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Parts 211 and 252End List of Subjects Start Signature
Michele P. Peterson,
Editor, Defense Acquisition Regulations System.
Therefore, DoD proposes to amend 48 CFR Parts 211 and 252 as follows:Start Part
PART 211—DESCRIBING AGENCY NEEDS
1. The authority citation for 48 CFR Parts 211 and 252 continues to read as follows:
2. Section 211.002 is revised to read as follows:
All defense technology and acquisition programs in DoD are subject Start Printed Page 35603to the policies and procedures in DoDD 5000.1, The Defense Acquisition System, and DoDI 5000.2, Operation of the Defense Acquisition System.
3. Sections 211.201 and 211.204 are revised to read as follows:
Follow the procedures at PGI 211.201 for use of specifications, standards, and data item descriptions.
(c) When contract performance requires use of specifications, standards, and data item descriptions that are not listed in the Acquisition Streamlining and Standardization Information System database, use provisions, as appropriate, substantially the same as those at—
(i) 252.211-7001, Availability of Specifications, Standards, and Data Item Descriptions Not Listed in the Acquisition Streamlining and Standardization Information System (ASSIST), and Plans, Drawings, and Other Pertinent Documents; and
(ii) 252.211-7002, Availability for Examination of Specifications, Standards, Plans, Drawings, Data Item Descriptions, and Other Pertinent Documents.
4. Section 211.273-2 is amended in paragraph (c) by removing “(see 211.273-3(c))”.
5. Section 211.273-3 is revised to read as follows:
Follow the procedures at PGI 211.273-3 for encouraging the use of SPI processes instead of military or Federal specifications and standards.
PART 252—SOLICITATION PROVISIONS AND CONTRACT CLAUSES
6. Section 252.211-7001 is amended by revising the section heading, clause title, and clause date to read as follows:
Availability of Specifications, Standards, and Data Item Descriptions Not Listed in the Acquisition Streamlining and Standardization Information System (Assist), and Plans, Drawings, and Other Pertinent Documents (XXX 2005)
[FR Doc. 05-12098 Filed 6-20-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-08-P