Customs and Border Protection, Department of Homeland Security.
This notice advises the public of the quarterly Internal Revenue Service interest rates used to calculate interest on overdue accounts (underpayments) and refunds (overpayments) of customs duties. For the calendar quarter beginning July 1, 2005, the interest rates for overpayments will be 5 percent for corporations and 6 percent for non-corporations, and the interest rate for underpayments will be 6 percent. This notice is published for the convenience of the importing public and Customs and Border Protection personnel.
July 1, 2005.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Trong Quan, National Finance Center, Collections Section, 6026 Lakeside Boulevard, Indianapolis, Indiana 46278; telephone (317) 614-4516.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Pursuant to 19 U.S.C. 1505 and Treasury Decision 85-93, published in the Federal Register on May 29, 1985 (50 FR 21832), the interest rate paid on applicable overpayments or underpayments of customs duties must be in accordance with the Internal Revenue Code rate established under 26 U.S.C. 6621 and 6622. Section 6621 was amended (at paragraph (a)(1)(B) by the Internal Revenue Service Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, Pub. L. 105-206, 112 Stat. 685) to provide different interest rates applicable to overpayments: one for corporations and one for non-corporations.
The interest rates are based on the Federal short-term rate and determined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on behalf of the Secretary of the Treasury on a quarterly basis. The rates effective for a quarter are determined during the first-month period of the previous quarter.
In Revenue Ruling 2005-35, the IRS determined the rates of interest for the calendar quarter beginning July 1, 2005, and ending September 30, 2005. The interest rate paid to the Treasury for underpayments will be the Federal short-term rate (3%) plus three percentage points (3%) for a total of six percent (6%). For corporate overpayments, the rate is the Federal short-term rate (3%) plus two percentage points (2%) for a total of five percent (5%). For overpayments made by non-corporations, the rate is the Federal short-term rate (3%) plus three percentage points (3%) for a total of six percent (6%). These interest rates are subject to change for the calendar quarter beginning October 1, 2005, and ending December 31, 2005.
For the convenience of the importing public and Customs and Border Protection personnel the following list of IRS interest rates used, covering the period from before July of 1974 to date, to calculate interest on overdue accounts and refunds of customs duties, is published in summary format.
|Beginning date||Ending date||Under payments (percent)||Over payments (percent)||Corporate overpayments (Eff. 1-1-99) (percent)|
|Start Printed Page 51837|
Dated: August 25, 2005.
Robert C. Bonner,
Commissioner, Customs and Border Protection.
[FR Doc. 05-17247 Filed 8-30-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 9110-06-P