Department of Defense (DoD).
DoD has adopted as final, with changes, an interim rule amending the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to remove policy on Central Contractor Registration (CCR) that duplicated policy found in the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR). The rule also addresses requirements for use of Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) codes in DoD contracts.
September 30, 2005.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ms. Deborah Tronic, Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, OUSD(AT&L)DPAP(DAR), IMD 3C132, 3062 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-3062. Telephone (703) 602-0289; facsimile (703) 602-0350. Please cite DFARS Case 2003-D040.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
DoD published an interim rule at 68 FR 64557 on November 14, 2003, to remove DFARS requirements for contractors to register in the CCR database, since policy on this subject had been added to the FAR. The interim rule also addressed requirements for inclusion of CAGE codes on contracts and in the CCR database to accommodate DoD payment systems.
Three sources submitted comments on the interim DFARS rule. A discussion of the comments is provided below.
1. Comment: Provision of DUNS numbers and CAGE codes. One respondent stated that the interim rule appeared to require contracting officers to provide both a DUNS number and a CAGE code on contractual documents submitted to the payment office, whereas the previous DFARS coverage required either a DUNS number or a CAGE code.
DoD Response: The final rule revises DFARS 204.1103(e) to clarify that contracting officers must include the contractor's CAGE code on contractual documents transmitted to the payment office, instead of the DUNS number.
2. Comment: Timely assignment of CAGE codes. One respondent recommended adding a statement to the rule to address the need for the Defense Logistics Information Service to assign CAGE codes in a timely manner, to avoid payment delays and payment of interest.
DoD Response: DoD agrees that timely assignment of CAGE codes is important. However, such a statement is considered unnecessary for inclusion in the DFARS.
3. Comment: Contractor failure to provide correct or current CCR information. One respondent provided an example of a contractor's failure to maintain current information in the CCR database.
DoD Response: Contractors are responsible for maintaining CCR information and are required to review and update their information annually to ensure it is current, accurate, and complete.
This rule was not subject to Office of Management and Budget review under Executive Order 12866, dated September 30, 1993.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
DoD certifies that this final rule will not have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities within the meaning of the Regulatory Flexibility Act, 5 U.S.C. 601, et seq., because the rule adds no new requirements for contractors. The rule removes DFARS text on Central Contractor Registration that has become obsolete as a result of policy that was added to the FAR, and retains existing requirements for use of Commercial and Government Entity codes in DoD contracts.
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply because the rule does not impose any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501, et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Part 204, 212, 213, and 252End List of Subjects Start Signature
Michele P. Peterson,
Editor, Defense Acquisition Regulations System.
PART 204-ADMINISTRATIVE MATTERSEnd Part Start Amendment Part
1. The authority citation forEnd Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
2. Section 204.1103 is revised to read as follows:End Amendment Part
(e) On contractual documents transmitted to the payment office, provide the Commercial and Government Entity code, instead of the DUNS number or DUNS+4 number, in accordance with agency procedures.End Amendment Part End Supplemental Information
[FR Doc. 05-19464 Filed 9-29-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-08-P