30-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Application for Status as Temporary Resident under Section 245A of the Immigration and Nationality Act, Form I-687.
The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) have submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on March 23, 2005 at 70 FR 14706, allowing for a 30-day public comment period. No comments were received by CIS on this information collection and OMB granted a 6-month approval for this collection.
The purpose of this notice is to provide for a second 30-day period for public comments and obtain a 3-year approval for the use of this form. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until December 1, 2005. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application for Status as Temporary Resident under Section 245A of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: Form I-687. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals and Households. The collection of information on Form I-687 is required to verify the applicant's eligibility for temporary status, and if the applicant is deemed eligible, to grant him or her the benefit sought.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 100,000 responses at 1 hour and 10 minutes (1.16 hours) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 116,000 annual burden hours. Start Printed Page 65931
Information about CIS forms is available online at the CIS Forms, Fees and Fingerprints Information Center. The Forms and Fees link provides information on immigration forms and how to print them. We recommend that you obtain all of your forms by downloading (printing) them from this Web site. This will ensure that you will have the most up-to-date version of the form that is currently available.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need additional information, please contact Director, Regulatory Management Division (RMD), CIS, Department of Homeland Security, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20529.Start Signature
Dated: October 26, 2005.
Richard A. Sloan,
Director, Regulatory Management Division, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigrant Services.
[FR Doc. 05-21717 Filed 10-31-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M