30-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Screening Requirements of Carriers; OMB Control No. 1651-0122.
The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on September 30, 2005, at 70 FR 57305. The notice provided for an emergency request for approval by OMB and allowed for a 60-day public comment period. No comments were received on this information collection.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until March 6, 2006. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), USCIS, Director, Regulatory Management Division, Clearance Office, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd floor, Washington, DC 20529. Comments may also be submitted to DHS via facsimile to 202-272-8352 or via e-mail at email@example.com. When submitting comments by e-mail please make sure to add OMB Control Number 1651-0122 in the subject box. Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Screening Requirements of Carriers.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: No Agency Form Number; U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. The evidence collected is used by DHS to determine whether sufficient steps were taken by a carrier demonstrating improvement in the screening of its passengers in order for the carrier to be eligible for automatic fines mitigation.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 65 responses at 100 hours per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 6,500 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Mr. Richard A. Sloan, 202-272-8354, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Director, Regulatory Management Division, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd Floor., Washington, DC 20529. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.Start Signature
Dated: January 31, 2006.
Deputy Director, Regulatory Management, Division, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
[FR Doc. 06-1010 Filed 1-31-06; 1:14 pm]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-P