60-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Baggage and Personal Effects of Detained Aliens; Form I-43; (OMB Control Number 1653-0023).
The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for sixty days until May 1, 2006.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), USCIS, Director, Regulatory Management Division, Clearance Office, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd floor, Washington, DC 20529. Comments may also be submitted to DHS via facsimile to 202-272-8352 or via e-mail at email@example.com. When submitting comments by e-mail please make sure to add OMB Control Number 1653-0023 in the subject box. Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Baggage and Personal Effects of Detained Aliens.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: Form I-43; U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USICE).
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or Households. This form is used by the arresting officer to ensure that the alien is afforded a reasonable opportunity to collect his or her property. The ICE also Start Printed Page 10046uses this form to protect the government from possible fraudulent claims.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 600,000 responses at one minute (.017 hours) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 10,200 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact: USCIS, Regulatory Management Division, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd Floor, Washington, DC 20529, (202) 272-8377.Start Signature
Dated: February 22, 2006.
Richard A. Sloan,
Director, Regulatory Management Division, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security.
[FR Doc. E6-2745 Filed 2-27-06; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-P