Notice of request for public comment and submission to OMB of proposed collection of information.
The Department of State has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.
- Title of Information Collection: Exchange Visitor Program Annual Report.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0151.
- Type of Request: Extension of a Currently Approved Collection.
- Originating Office: Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of Exchange, Coordination and Designation, ECA/EC/PS.
- Form Number: Form DS-3097.
- Respondents: Designated J-1 program sponsors.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 1460.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 1460 annually.
- Average Hours Per Response: 1 hour.
- Total Estimated Burden: 1460 hours.
- Frequency: Annually.
- Obligation to Respond: Mandatory.
Submit comments to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for up to 30 days from August 14, 2006.
Direct comments and questions to Katherine Astrich, the Department of State Desk Officer in the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), who may be reached at (202) 395-4718. You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include the DS form number, information collection title, and OMB control number in the subject line of your message.
- Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions): Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office of Management and Budget, 725 17th Street, NW., Washington, DC 20503.
- Fax: 202-395-6974
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
You may obtain copies of the proposed information collection and supporting documents from Stanley S. Colvin, Director, Office of Exchange Coordination and Designation, Department of State, 301 4th Street, SW., Room 734, Washington, DC 20547, who may be reached on (202) 203-5096, fax at 202-203-5087 or e-mail at Jexchanges@state.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary to properly perform our functions.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond.
Abstract of Proposed Collection
Annual reports from designated program sponsors assist the Department in oversight and administration of the J-1 visa program. The reports provide statistical data on the number of exchange participants an organization sponsored per category. Program sponsors include government agencies, academic institutions, not-for-profit and for-profit organizations.
Annual reports are run through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and then printed and sent to the Department. The Department allows sponsors to submit annual reports by mail or fax at this time. There are measures being taken to allow sponsors to submit the reports electronically in the future.Start Signature
Dated: June 22, 2006.
Stanley S. Colvin,
Director, Office of Exchange Coordination and Designation, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Department of State.
[FR Doc. E6-13302 Filed 8-11-06; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-05-P