60-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Revision of a currently approved collection; Bulletproof Vest Partnership.
The Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Assistance, has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. This proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until December 4, 2006. If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact M. Pressley at 202-353-8643 or 1-866-859-2687, Bureau of Justice Assistance, Office of Justice Programs, U. S. Department of Justice, 810 7th Street, NW., Washington, DC 20531.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the function of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility.
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information:
(1) Type of information collection: Revision of currently approved collection.
(2) The title of the form/collection: Bulletproof Vest Partnership.
(3) The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: Form Number: None, Bureau of Justice Assistance, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract. Primary: State, Local, or Tribal Governments. Other: None. Abstract: The Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) collects this information as part of the application for federal assistance process under the Bulletproof Vest Partnership (BVP) Program. The purpose of this program is to help protect the lives of law enforcement officers by helping states and units of local and tribal governments equip their officers with armor vests. An applicant may request funds to help purchase one vest per officer per fiscal year. Federal payment covers up to 50 percent of each jurisdiction's total costs. BJA uses the information collected to review, approve, and make awards to jurisdictions in accordance with programmatic and statutory requirements.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: There are approximately 5,000 respondents who will respond approximately once per year, for a total of 5,000 responses. Each response will require approximately 1 hour to complete.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The total annual public burden hours for this information collection is estimated to be 5,000 hours: 5,000 × 60 minutes per application = 300,000 minutes / by 60 minutes per hour = 5,000 hours.
If additional information is required, please contact, Lynn Bryant, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: September 27, 2006.
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. E6-16269 Filed 10-2-06; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18-P