30-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Certification of Child Safety Lock.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register Volume 71, Number 107, page 32373 on June 5, 2006, allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until November 27, 2006. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to The Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Start Printed Page 62611Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20503. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to (202) 395-5806.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Certification of Child Safety Lock.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: None. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: None. Abstract: Prior to transferring a handgun to a non-licensee, the licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer must certify that the non-licensee has been or within 10 days will be provided with secure gun storage or a safety device for the handgun.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: There will be an estimated 61,356 respondents, who will complete the certification in approximately 5 seconds.
(6) An estimate of the total burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 62 total burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Lynn Bryant, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1600, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: October 20, 2006.
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. E6-17915 Filed 10-25-06; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P