Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS), Labor.
The Department of Labor, as part of its continuing effort to reduce paperwork and respondent burden, conducts a pre-clearance consultation program to provide the general public and Federal agencies with an opportunity to comment on proposed and/or continuing collections of information in accordance with The Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (PRA95) [44 U.S.C. 3506 C (2)(A)]. This program helps to ensure that requested data can be provided in the desired format, reporting burden (time and financial resources) is minimized, collection instruments are clearly understood, and the impact of collection requirements on respondents can be properly assessed. Currently the Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) is soliciting comments concerning the proposed information Start Printed Page 7477collection request for the VETS USERRA/VP Form 1010.
Comments are to be submitted by April 9, 2007.
Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- E-mail: FCP-NPRM-04-VETS@dol.gov. Include “VETS-1010” in the subject line of the message.
- Fax: (202) 693-4755 (for comments of 10 pages or less).
- Mail: Robert Wilson, Chief, Division of Investigation and Compliance, VETS, U.S. Department of Labor, Room S-1316, 200 Constitution Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20210.
- Receipt of submissions, whether by U.S. Mail, e-mail or FAX transmittal, will not be acknowledged; however, the sender may request confirmation that a submission has been received, by telephoning VETS at (202) 693-4719(VOICE) (this is not a toll-free number) or (202)693-4753 (TTY/TDD).
All comments received, including any personal information provided, will be available for public inspection during normal business hours at the above address. People needing assistance to review comments will be provided with appropriate aids such as readers or print magnifiers.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Robert Wilson, Chief, Division of Investigation and Compliance, VETS, at the U.S. Department of Labor, Room S-1316, 200 Constitution Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20210, or by e-mail at FCP-NPRM-04-VETS@dol.govEnd Further Info
Comments are to be submitted to the Veterans' Employment and Training Service, U.S. Department of Labor, Room S-1316, 200 Constitution Ave., NW., Washington, DC 20210, telephone (202) 693-4711. Written comments limited to 10 pages or fewer may also be transmitted by facsimile to (202) 693-4755. Receipt of submissions, whether by U.S. mail, e-mail or FAX transmittal, will not be acknowledged; however, the sender may request confirmation that a submission has been received, by telephoning VETS at (202) 693-4719.End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The VETS/USERRA/VP Form 1010 is used to file complaints with the Department of Labor's Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) under either the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) or laws/regulations related to veterans' preference (VP) in Federal employment. The purpose of the VETS/USERRA/VP Form information collection requirement include: to protect and facilitate the prompt reemployment of members of the uniformed services (to include National Guard and Reserves); to minimize disruption to the lives of persons who perform service in the uniformed services and their employers; and to encourage individuals to participate in non-career uniformed service. Also, to prohibit discrimination in employment and acts of reprisal against persons because of their obligations in the uniformed services, prior service, intention to join the uniformed services, filing of a USERRA claim, seeking assistance concerning an alleged violation, testifying in a proceeding, or otherwise assisting in an investigation.
The purposes of Veterans' Preference laws and regulations and this information collection requirement include: to provide preference for certain veterans (preference eligibles) over others in Federal hiring from competitive lists of applicants; and to provide preference eligibles with preference over others in retention during reductions in force in Federal agencies.
Two new questions are included in the VETS/USERRA/VP 1010 Form that does not impact the burden hours to complete the form. The form now asks for an e-mail address (question #6), and a (yes or no question #17) that states “Was the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) involved in handling your claim initially?”
II. Desired Focus of Comments
Currently VETS is soliciting comments concerning the proposed information collection request for the VETS/USERRA/VP Form 1010. To obtain a copy of the VETS 1010 please contact Rob Wilson. The Department of Labor is particularly interested in comments which:
- Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
- Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
- Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submissions of responses.
III. Current Actions
This notice requests an extension of the current Office of Management and Budget approval of the paperwork requirements for VETS/USERRA/VP Form 1010.
Type of Review: Extension.
Agency: Veterans' Employment and Training Service.
Title: VETS/USERRA/VP Form 1010.
OMB Number: 1293-0002.
Affected Public: Individuals or households.
Total Respondents: Approximately 1,500.
Average Time per Response: 15 minutes.
Total Burden Hours: 375 hours.
Total Annualized Capital/Startup costs: $0.
Total Initial Annual Costs: $0.
Comments submitted in response to this notice will be summarized and included in the request for the Office of Management and Budget approval of the information collection request. Comments will become a matter of public record.Start Signature
Dated: February 8, 2007.
John M. McWilliam
Deputy Assistant Secretary, Veterans' Employment and Training.
[FR Doc. E7-2582 Filed 2-14-07; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4510-79-P