Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA.
Extension of approval of an information collection; comment request.
In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, this notice announces the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service's intention to request an extension of approval of an information collection associated with regulations for the importation of live poultry, poultry meat, and other poultry products from specified regions.
We will consider all comments that we receive on or before July 2, 2007.
You may submit comments by either of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to http://www.regulations.gov, select “Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service” from the agency drop-down menu, then click “Submit.” In the Docket ID column, select APHIS-2007-0058 to submit or view public comments and to view supporting and related materials available electronically. Information on using Regulations.gov, including instructions for accessing documents, submitting comments, and viewing the docket after the close of the comment period, is available through the site's “User Tips” link.
- Postal Mail/Commercial Delivery: Please send four copies of your comment (an original and three copies) to Docket No. APHIS-2007-0058, Regulatory Analysis and Development, PPD, APHIS, Station 3A-03.8, 4700 River Road, Unit 118, Riverdale, MD 20737-1238. Please state that your comment refers to Docket No. APHIS-2007-0058.
Reading Room: You may read any comments that we receive on this docket in our reading room. The reading room is located in room 1141 of the USDA South Building, 14th Street and Independence Avenue, SW., Washington, DC. Normal reading room hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. To be sure someone is there to help you, please call (202) 690-2817 before coming.
Other Information: Additional information about APHIS and its programs is available on the Internet at http://www.aphis.usda.gov.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
For information on an information collection associated with regulations for the importation of live poultry, poultry meat, and other poultry products from specified regions, contact Dr. Peter Merrill, Senior Staff Veterinarian, Technical Trade Services Team, National Center for Import and Export, VS, APHIS, 4700 River Road, Unit 39, Riverdale, MD 20737-1231. For copies of more detailed information on the information collection, contact Mrs. Celeste Sickles, APHIS' Information Collection Coordinator, at (301) 734-7477.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Title: Importation of Live Poultry, Poultry Meat, and Other Poultry Products From Specified Regions.
OMB Number: 0579-0228.
Type of Request: Extension of approval of an information collection.
Abstract: The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) of the United States Department of Agriculture is authorized, among other things, to prohibit or restrict the importation of animals, animal products, and other articles into the United States to prevent the introduction of animal diseases and pests. In connection with this mission, APHIS regulates the importation of animals and animal products into the United States. The regulations are contained in title 9, chapter 1, subchapter D, parts 91 through 99, of the Code of Federal Regulations.
Part 94, § 94.26, allows the importation, subject to certain conditions, of live poultry, poultry meat, and other poultry products from certain regions, including Argentina and the Mexican States of Campeche, Quintana Roo, and Yucatan, that are free of exotic Newcastle disease (END). The conditions for importation require, Start Printed Page 23793among other things, certification from a full-time salaried veterinary officer of the national government of the exporting region that poultry and poultry products exported from one of these regions originated in that region (or in another region recognized by APHIS as free of END) and that before export to the United States, the poultry and poultry products were not commingled with poultry and poultry products from regions where END exists.
We are asking the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to approve our use of these information collection activities for an additional 3 years.
The purpose of this notice is to solicit comments from the public (as well as affected agencies) concerning our information collection. These comments will help us:
(1) Evaluate whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the Agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the information collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the information collection on those who are to respond, through use, as appropriate, of automated, electronic, mechanical, and other collection technologies, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Estimate of burden: The public reporting burden for this collection of information is estimated to average 1 hour per response.
Respondents: Federal animal health authorities of certain regions that export live poultry, poultry meat, and other poultry products.
Estimated annual number of respondents: 10.
Estimated annual number of responses per respondent: 10.
Estimated annual number of responses: 100.
Estimated total annual burden on respondents: 100 hours. (Due to averaging, the total annual burden hours may not equal the product of the annual number of responses multiplied by the reporting burden per response.)
All responses to this notice will be summarized and included in the request for OMB approval. All comments will also become a matter of public record.Start Signature
Done in Washington, DC, this 26th day of April 2007.
Acting Administrator, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
[FR Doc. E7-8297 Filed 4-30-07; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3410-34-P