Notice of request for public comment and submission to OMB of proposed collection of information.
The Department of State has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.
- Title of Information Collection: Nonimmigrant Visa Application.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0018.
- Type of Request: Extension of a Currently Approved Collection.
- Originating Office: Bureau of Consular Affairs (CA/VO).
- Form Number: DS-156.
- Respondents: Nonimmigrant visa applicants.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 12,000,000.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 12,000,000.
- Average Hours Per Response: 1 hour.
- Total Estimated Burden: 12,000,000 hours per year.
- Frequency: Once per respondent.
- Obligation to Respond: Required to Obtain or Retain a Benefit.
Submit comments to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for up to 30 days from August 27, 2007.
Direct comments and questions to Katherine Astrich, the Department of State Desk Officer in the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), who may be reached at 202-395-4718. You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- E-mail: Katherine_T._Astrich@omb.eop.gov. You must include the DS form number, information collection title, and OMB control number in the subject line of your message.
- Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions): Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office of Management and Budget, 725 17th Street, NW., Washington, DC 20503.
- Fax: 202-395-6974.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Direct requests for additional information regarding the collection listed in this notice, including requests for copies of the proposed information collection and supporting documents, to Lauren Prosnik of the Office of Visa Services, U.S. Department of State, 2401 E. Street, NW., L-603, Washington, DC 20522, who may be reached at (202) 663-2951.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary to properly perform our functions.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond,
Abstract of Proposed Collection
Form DS-156 is completed by aliens seeking nonimmigrant visas to the U.S. The Department will use the DS-156 to elicit information necessary to determine an applicant's visa eligibility.
The DS-156 is completed by applicants online or, in exceptional circumstances, applicants may submit a paper application to posts abroad. The applicant prints the application and a 2-D barcode. When the applicant appears at the interview the barcode is scanned and the information electronically received.Start Signature
Dated: August 6, 2007.
Stephen A. Edson,
Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State.
[FR Doc. E7-16900 Filed 8-24-07; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-06-P