National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Commerce.
Notice of public meeting.
The 97th meeting of the Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council's (Council) Scientific and Statistical Committee (SSC) will convene Monday, March 3, 2008, through Thursday March 6, 2008. Start Printed Page 8295See SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION for specific times, dates, and agenda items.
The SSC meeting will be held at the Council Office Conference Room, 1164 Bishop St., Suite 1400, Honolulu, HI; telephone: (808) 522-8220.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Kitty M. Simonds, Executive Director; telephone: (808)-522-8220.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Dates and Times and Locations
The SSC meeting will be held between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Monday, March 3, 2008, and between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, March 4-6, 2008.
Monday, March 3, 2008, 9 a.m.
2. Approval of Draft Agenda and Assignment of Rapporteurs
3. Approval of the Minutes of the 96th SSC Meeting
4. Report from the Pacific Fisheries Science Center Director
5. Insular Fisheries
A. Update on Status of Main Hawaiian Islands (MHI) Bottomfish Management and Monitoring
1. Data Collection, Processing and Analysis
a. Catch Reports
b. Dealer Reports
2. Review annual data by month for last three years
3. Federal regulations
4. State rules and regulations
5. Report on economic performance
B. Bottomfish Risk Assessment Model (Action Item)
C. In-Situ Recording of Hawaiian Deep Reef Slopes and Seamounts
D. Hawaii Parrotfish Population Biology
E. Public Comment
F. Discussion and Action
Tuesday, March 4, 2008, 8:30 a.m.
6. Pelagic Fisheries
A. Longline Management
1. Hawaii Swordfish Fishery Effort (Action Item)
2. Mariana Archipelago Longline and Purse-Seine Closed Areas (Action Item)
3. American Samoa Longline Program Modifications (Action Item)
B. Non-Longline Management
1. American Samoa Purse-Seine Closed Area (Action Item)
2. Non-Longline Pelagic Fishery Management (Action Item)
C. American Samoa and Hawaii Longline Quarterly Reports
D. Bycatch reduction strategies in the Hawaii LL fleet
E. International Fisheries/Meetings
1. Climate Impacts on Oceanic Top Predators (CLIOTOP)
2. Western & Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC)
3. Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (IATTC)
4. North Pacific Regional Fishery Management Organization
5. South Pacific Regional Fishery Management Organization
6. International Scientific Committee Billfish Working Group
F. Public Comment
G. Discussion and Action
7. Ecological Risk Assessment Workshop Report
8. Marine Recreational Fisheries Information Program (MRIP)
9. Protected Species
A. Loggerhead Petition
B. Loggerhead Workshop report
C. Pelagic Fisheries Research Program Albatross Population Dynamics Workshop Report
D. Potential Listing of Blackfooted Albatross under Endangered Species Act (ESA)
E. Update on ESA consultations
Wednesday, March 5, 2008, 8:30 a.m.
10. Maximum Sustainable Yield (MSY) Proxies Workshop
Thursday, March 6, 2008, 8:30 a.m.
11. Program Planning
A. 5 Year Research Plan
B. Cooperative Research Program
C. Pelagic Fisheries Research Program
D. Annual Catch Limits
E. Magnuson-Stevens Reauthorization Act (MSRA) Ecosystem-based Management Workshop
12. Other Business
A. 98th SSC Meeting
13. Summary of SSC Recommendations to the Council
These meetings are physically accessible to people with disabilities. Requests for sign language interpretation or other auxiliary aids should be directed to Kitty M. Simonds, (808) 522-8220 (voice) or (808) 522-8226 (fax), at least 5 days prior to the meeting date.Start Signature
Dated: February 8, 2008.
Tracey L. Thompson,
Acting Director, Office of Sustainable Fisheries, National Marine Fisheries Service.
[FR Doc. E8-2650 Filed 2-12-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3510-22-S