Notice of request for public comment and submission to OMB of proposed collection of information.
The Department of State has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.
- Title of Information Collection: Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0133.
- Type of Request: Revision of a Currently Approved Collection.
- Originating Office: Bureau of Consular Affairs, CA/PT/FO/FC.
- Form Number: DS-60.
- Respondents: Individuals and Households.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 202,920.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 202,920.
- Average Hours Per Response: 15 minutes.
- Total Estimated Burden: 50,730 hours.
- Frequency: On occasion.
- Obligation to Respond: Required to obtain or retain a benefit.
Submit comments to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for up to 30 days from March 25, 2008.
Direct comments and questions to Katherine Astrich, the Department of State Desk Officer in the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), who may be reached at 202-395-4718. You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- E-mail: email@example.com. You must include the DS form number, information collection title, and OMB control number in the subject line of your message.
- Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions): Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office of Management and Budget, 725 17th Street, NW., Washington, DC 20503.
- Fax: 202-395-6974
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
You may obtain copies of the proposed information collection and supporting documents from Steven J. Jelinski, 2100 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Washington DC 20037, who may be reached at (202) 663-2468, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
We are soliciting public comments to enable the Department to do the following:
- Assess whether the proposed information collection is necessary to properly perform our functions.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond,
Abstract of Proposed Collection
The Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name is submitted in conjunction with an application for a U.S. passport. It is used by Passport Services to collect information for the purpose of establishing that a passport applicant, who has adopted a new name without formal court proceedings, or by marriage, has publicly and exclusively used the adopted name over a long period of time (in general five years).
When needed, the Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name is completed at the time a U.S. citizen applies for a U.S. passport.Start Signature
Dated: March 5, 2008.
Deputy Assistant Secretary for Passport Services, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State.
[FR Doc. E8-6015 Filed 3-24-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-06-P