Corporation for National and Community Service.
The Corporation for National and Community Service (hereinafter the “Corporation”), as part of its continuing effort to reduce paperwork and respondent burden, conducts a pre-clearance consultation program to provide the general public and federal agencies with an opportunity to comment on proposed and/or continuing collections of information in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (PRA95) (44 U.S.C. 3506(c)(2)(A)). This program helps to ensure that requested data can be provided in the desired format, reporting burden (time and financial resources) is minimized, collection instruments are clearly understood, and the impact of collection requirement on respondents can be properly assessed.
Currently, the Corporation is soliciting comments concerning its proposed renewal of its Interest Accrual Form. Copies of the information collection requests can be obtained by contacting the office listed in the address section of this notice.
Written comments must be submitted to the individual and office listed in the ADDRESSES section by May 27, 2008.
You may submit comments, identified by the title of the information collection activity, by any of the following methods:
(1) By mail sent to: Corporation for National and Community Service, National Service Trust; Attention Bruce Kellogg, 1201 New York Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20525.
(2) By hand delivery or by courier to the Corporation's mailroom at Room 8100 at the mail address given in paragraph (1) above, between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.
(3) By fax to: (202) 606-3484, Attention Bruce Kellogg.
(4) Electronically through the Corporation's e-mail address system: email@example.com.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Bruce Kellogg, (202) 606-6954, or by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The Corporation is particularly interested in comments that:
- Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the Corporation, including whether the information will have practical utility;
- Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
- Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are expected to respond, including the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology (e.g., permitting electronic submissions of responses).
This form or its electronic equivalent is used by AmeriCorps members to request a payment of the interest accruing on qualified loans during the AmeriCorps member's term of service, if their loans were in forbearance during their service and if they successfully complete their terms of service. The form serves to give the member's permission to and directs the loan holder to release loan information to the Corporation so that the National Service Trust can make the interest payment. The form has a “Manual” version generated from the online request when the institution is not registered online, which provides the member's electronic signature; the non-electronic version provides a space for the member and the loan holder to sign.
The Corporation seeks to renew the current form. The application will be used in the same manner as the existing application. The Corporation also seeks to continue using the current application until the revised application is approved by OMB. The current application is due to expire on July 31, 2008.
Type of Review: Renewal. Start Printed Page 16277
Agency: Corporation for National and Community Service.
Title: Interest Accrual Form.
OMB Number: 3045-0053.
Agency Number: None.
Affected Public: Individuals who have completed a term of national service who wish the National Service Trust to pay certain interest accruing on qualified student loans.
Total Respondents: 4,000 responses annually, using the paper form.
Frequency: Some members do not have qualified student loans while others have several. Currently, over half of the interest payments are processed electronically. The Corporation expects the use of paper forms to decrease over the next few years.
Average Time per Response: Total of 10 minutes (one minute for the AmeriCorps member's section (non-electronic version) and nine minutes for the loan holder).
Estimated Total Burden Hours: 667 hours.
Total Burden Cost (capital/startup): None.
Total Burden Cost (operating/maintenance): None.
Comments submitted in response to this notice will be summarized and/or included in the request for Office of Management and Budget approval of the information collection request; they will also become a matter of public record.Start Signature
Dated: March 20, 2008.
Manager (Acting), National Service Trust.
[FR Doc. E8-6283 Filed 3-26-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6050-$$-P