National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Commerce.
Notice of a public meeting.
The New England Fishery Management Council's (Council) Herring Oversight Committee will meet to consider actions affecting New England fisheries in the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
The meeting will be held on Thursday, May 22, 2008, at 9 a.m.
The meeting will be held at the Clarion Hotel, 1230 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04102; telephone: (207) 774-5611.
Council address: New England Fishery Management Council, 50 Water Street, Mill 2, Newburyport, MA 01950.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Paul J. Howard, Executive Director, New England Fishery Management Council; telephone: (978) 465-0492.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The items of discussion in the committee's agenda are as follows:
1. There will be one hour scheduled at the beginning of this meeting (9 a.m.) for the public to provide scoping comments on Amendment 4 to the Herring Fishery Management Plan (FMP).
2. Review and discuss comments and recommendations from the April 30, 2008 Herring Advisory Panel Meeting.
3. Review and discuss updated Atlantic herring stock/fishery information.
4. Receive a report regarding the current sea sampling (observer) program, and review/discuss updated sea sampling data for the herring fishery.
5. Review and discuss existing shore-side bycatch monitoring initiatives for the herring fishery.
6. Continue work on the development of management alternatives for consideration in Amendment 4 to the Herring FMP.
Although non-emergency issues not contained in this agenda may come before this group for discussion, those issues may not be the subject of formal action during this meeting. Action will be restricted to those issues specifically identified in this notice and any issues arising after publication of this notice that require emergency action under section 305(c) of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, provided the public has been notified of the Council's intent to take final action to address the emergency.
This meeting is physically accessible to people with disabilities. Requests for sign language interpretation or other auxiliary aids should be directed to Paul J. Howard (see ADDRESSES) at least 5 days prior to the meeting date.Start Signature
Dated: April 28, 2008.
Tracey L. Thompson,
Acting Director, Office of Sustainable Fisheries, National Marine Fisheries Service.
[FR Doc. E8-9598 Filed 4-30-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3510-22-S