U. S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
Notice of the OMB review of information collection and solicitation of public comment.Start Printed Page 42375
The NRC has recently submitted to OMB for review the following proposal for the collection of information under the provisions of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. Chapter 35). The NRC hereby informs potential respondents that an agency may not conduct or sponsor, and that a person is not required to respond to, a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number. The NRC published a Federal Register Notice with a 60-day comment period on this information collection on April 14, 2008.
1. Type of submission, new, revision, or extension: Extension.
2. The title of the information collection: 10 CFR Part 32—Specific Domestic Licenses to Manufacture or Transfer Certain Items Containing Byproduct Material.
3. Current OMB approval number: 3150-0001.
4. The form number if applicable: NRC Form 653.
5. How often the collection is required: There is a one-time submittal of information to receive a certificate of registration for a sealed source and/or device. Certificates of registration for sealed sources and/or devices can be amended at any time. In addition, licensee recordkeeping must be performed on an on-going basis, and reporting of transfer of byproduct material must be reported every calendar year, and in some cases, every calendar quarter.
6. Who will be required or asked to report: All specific licensees who manufacture or initially transfer items containing byproduct material for sale or distribution to general licensees, or persons exempt from licensing, medical use product distributors to specific licensees, and those requesting a certificate of registration for a sealed source and/or device.
7. An estimate of the number of annual responses: 1,315
8. The estimated number of annual respondents: 846 (239 NRC licensees and registration certificate holders and 607 Agreement State licensees and registration certificate holders).
9. An estimate of the total number of hours needed annually to complete the requirement or request: 166,054 (10,635 reporting hours, 155,285 hours for recordkeeping, and 134 hours for third party disclosures)
10. Abstract: 10 CFR Part 32 establishes requirements for specific licenses for the introduction of byproduct material into products or materials and transfer of the products or materials to general licensees, or persons exempt from licensing, medical use product distributors to specific licensees, and those requesting a certificate of registration for a sealed source and/or device. It also prescribes requirements governing holders of the specific licenses. Some of the requirements are for information which must be submitted in an application for a certificate of registration for a sealed source and/or device, records which must be kept, reports which must be submitted, and information which must be forwarded to general licensees and persons exempt from licensing. As mentioned, 10 CFR Part 32 also prescribes requirements for the issuance of certificates of registration (concerning radiation safety information about a product) to manufacturers or initial transferors of sealed sources and devices. Submission or retention of the information is mandatory for persons subject to the 10 CFR Part 32 requirements. The information is used by NRC to make licensing and other regulatory determinations concerning the use of radioactive byproduct material in products and devices.
A copy of the final supporting statement may be viewed free of charge at the NRC Public Document Room, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Room O-1 F21, Rockville, Maryland 20852. OMB clearance requests are available at the NRC worldwide Web site: http://www.nrc.gov/public-involve/doc-comment/omb/index.html. The document will be available on the NRC home page site for 60 days after the signature date of this notice.
Comments and questions should be directed to the OMB reviewer listed below by August 20, 2008. Comments received after this date will be considered if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given to comments received after this date.
Nathan J. Frey, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (3150-0121), NEOB-10202, Office of Management and Budget, Washington, DC 20503.
Comments can also be e-mailed to Nathan_J._Frey@omb.eop.gov or submitted by telephone at (202) 395-7345.
The NRC Clearance Officer is Russell Nichols, (301) 415-6847.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 15th day of July, 2008.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Acting NRC Clearance Officer, Office of Information Services.
[FR Doc. E8-16603 Filed 7-18-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P