Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA.
Extension of approval of an information collection; comment request.
In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, this notice announces the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service's intention to request an extension of approval of an information collection associated with regulations for the importation of clementines from Spain.
We will consider all comments that we receive on or before September 29, 2008.
You may submit comments by either of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=DocketDetail&d=APHIS-2008-0081 to submit or view comments and to view supporting and related materials available electronically.
- Postal Mail/Commercial Delivery: Please send two copies of your comment to Docket No. APHIS-2008-0081, Regulatory Analysis and Development, PPD, APHIS, Station 3A-03.8, 4700 River Road Unit 118, Riverdale, MD 20737-1238. Please state that your comment refers to Docket No. APHIS-2008-0081.
Reading Room: You may read any comments that we receive on this docket in our reading room. The reading room is located in room 1141 of the USDA South Building, 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW., Start Printed Page 44214Washington, DC. Normal reading room hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. To be sure someone is there to help you, please call (202) 690-2817 before coming.
Other Information: Additional information about APHIS and its programs is available on the Internet at http://www.aphis.usda.gov.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
For information on regulations for the importation of clementines from Spain, contact Ms. Vanessa P. Schreier, Assistant Director, Preclearance Programs, PPQ, APHIS, 4700 River Road Unit 60, Riverdale, MD 20737; (301) 734-8259. For copies of more detailed information on the information collection, contact Mrs. Celeste Sickles, APHIS' Information Collection Coordinator, at (301) 851-2908.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Title: Importation of Clementines From Spain.
OMB Number: 0579-0203.
Type of Request: Extension of approval of an information collection.
Abstract: The Plant Protection Act (PPA, 7 U.S.C. 7701 et seq.) authorizes the Secretary of Agriculture to restrict the importation, entry, or interstate movement of plants, plant products, and other articles to prevent the introduction of plant pests, including fruit flies, into the United States or their dissemination within the United States. Regulations authorized by the PPA concerning the importation of fruits and vegetables into the United States from certain parts of the world are contained in “Subpart-Fruits and Vegetables” (7 CFR 319.56 through 319.56-47).
Under these regulations, clementines from Spain are subject to certain conditions before entering the United States to ensure that exotic plant pests, such as the Mediterranean fruit fly, are not introduced into the United States. The regulations require the use of information collection activities including a trust fund agreement, grower registration and agreement, a Mediterranean fruit fly management program, fruit fly trapping and control activities, recordkeeping, a phytosanitary certificate, and box labeling.
We are asking the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to approve our use of these information collection activities for 3 years.
The purpose of this notice is to solicit comments from the public (as well as affected agencies) concerning our information collection. These comments will help us:
(1) Evaluate whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the Agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, through use, as appropriate, of automated, electronic, mechanical, and other collection technologies; e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Estimate of burden: The public reporting burden for this collection of information is estimated to average 0.0008904 hours per response.
Respondents: National plant health officials of Spain, and growers and shippers of clementines.
Estimated annual number of respondents: 4,508.
Estimated annual number of responses per respondent: 3,469.3234.
Estimated annual number of responses: 15,639,710.
Estimated total annual burden on respondents: 13,927 hours. (Due to averaging, the total annual burden hours may not equal the product of the annual number of responses multiplied by the reporting burden per response.)
All responses to this notice will be summarized and included in the request for OMB approval. All comments will also become a matter of public record.Start Signature
Done in Washington, DC, this 24th day of July 2008.
Acting Administrator, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
[FR Doc. E8-17464 Filed 7-29-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3410-34-P