60-day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: School Crime Supplement (SCS) to the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS).
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics will be submtting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until November 24, 2008. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Katrina Baum, Statistician, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Justice, 810 7th Street, NW., Washington, DC 20531, or facsimile (202) 307-1463.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information
(1) Type of information collection: Reinstatement, without change, of a previously approved collection for which approval has expired.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: School Crime Supplement (SCS) to the National Crime Victimization Survey.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the department sponsoring the collection: SCS-1. Bureau of Justice Statistics, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Persons ages 12 to 18 in NCVS sampled households in the United States. The School Crime Supplement (SCS) to the National Crime Victimization Survey collects, analyzes, publishes, and disseminates statistics on the prevalence, economic cost, and consequences of identity theft on victims.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: Approximately 9,445 persons ages 12 to 18 will complete an SCS interview. We estimate the average length of the ITS interview for these individuals will be 0.167 hours (10 minutes).
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The total respondent burden is approximately 1,577 hours.
If additional information is required contact: Lynn Bryant, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, United States Department of Justice, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: September 18, 2008.
Department Clearance Officer, PRA, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. E8-22352 Filed 9-23-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18-P