Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Notice of Information Collection—no change: Employer Information Report (EEO-1).
In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) announces that it intends to submit to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) a request for an extension through January 2010.
Written comments on this notice must be submitted on or before December 2, 2008.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- By mail to Stephen Llewellyn, Executive Officer, Executive Secretariat, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 10th Floor, 1801 L Street, NW., Washington, DC 20507.
- By facsimile (“FAX”) machine (202) 663-4114. (This is not a toll-free number). Only comments of six or fewer pages will be accepted via FAX transmittal, in order to assure access to the equipment. Receipt of FAX transmittals will not be acknowledged, except that the sender may request confirmation of receipt by calling the Executive Secretariat staff at (202) 663-4070 (voice) or (202) 663-4074 (TTY). (These are not toll-free telephone numbers.)
- By the Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. After accessing this Web site, follow its instructions for submitting comments.
- Comments need to be submitted in only one of the above formats, not all three. All comments received will be posted without change to http://www.regulations.gov, including any personal information you provide. Copies of the received comments will also be available for inspection in the EEOC Library, FOIA Reading Room, by advance appointment only, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday except legal holidays, from December 2, 2008 until the Commission publishes the 30-day notice for this item. People who schedule an appointment in EEOC Library, FOIA Reading Room, and need assistance to view the comments will be provided with appropriate aids upon request, such as readers or print magnifiers. To schedule an appointment to inspect the comments at EEOC Library, FOIA Reading Room, contact the EEOC Library by calling (202) 663-4630 (voice) or (202) 663-4641 (TTY). (These are not toll-free telephone numbers.)
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ronald Edwards, Director, Program Research and Surveys Division, 1801 L Street, NW., Room 9222, Washington, DC 20507; (202) 663-4958 (voice) or (202) 663-7063 (TDD). This notice is also available in the following formats: large print, Braille, audio tape and electronic file on computer disk. Requests for this notice in an alternative format should be made to the Publications Center at 1-800-669-3392.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Pursuant to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, 44 U.S.C. Chapter 35, and OMB regulations 5 CFR 1320.8(d)(1), the Commission solicits public comment to enable it to:
1. Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the Commission's functions, including whether the information will have practical utility;
2. Evaluate the accuracy of the Commission's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
3. Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
4. Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
Collection Title: Employer Information Report (EEO-1).
OMB Number: OMB Number 3046-0007.
Frequency of Report: Annual.
Type of Respondent: Private industry employers with 100 or more employees and certain Federal Government contractors and first-tier subcontractors with 50 or more employees.
Description of Affected Public: Private industry employers with 100 or more employees and certain Federal Government contractors and first-tier subcontractors with 50 or more employees.
Reporting Hours: 599,000.
Respondent Cost: $11.4 million.
Federal Cost: $2.1 million.
Number of Forms: 1.
Abstract: Section 709(c) of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, 42 U.S.C. 2000e-8(c), requires employers to make and keep records relevant to a determination of whether unlawful employment practices have been or are being committed and to make reports therefrom as required by the EEOC. Accordingly, the EEOC issued regulations, Title 29, Chapter XIV, Subpart B, § 1602.7, which set forth the reporting requirements for various kinds of employers. Employers in the private sector with 100 or more employees and some Federal contractors with 50 or more employees have been required to submit EEO-1 reports annually since 1966. The individual reports are confidential. EEO-1 data are used by EEOC to investigate charges of employment discrimination against employers in private industry and to provide information about the employment status of minorities and women. The data are shared with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), U.S. Department of Labor, and several other Federal agencies. Pursuant to § 709(d) of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, EEO-1 data are also shared with eighty-six State and local Fair Employment Practices Agencies (FEPAs).
Burden Statement: The estimated number of respondents included in the annual EEO-1 survey is 45,000 private employers. The estimated number of establishment-based responses per reporting company is between 3 and 4 EEO-1 reports annually. The annual number of responses is approximately 170,000. The form is estimated to impose 599,000 burden hours annually. In order to help reduce survey burden, respondents are encouraged to report data electronically whenever possible.Start Signature
Dated: September 29, 2008.
For the Commission.
Reed L. Russell,
[FR Doc. E8-23288 Filed 10-2-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6570-01-P