Notice of request for public comments.
The Department of State is seeking Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval for the renewal of information collection described below. The purpose of this notice is to allow 60 days for public comment in the Federal Register preceding submission to OMB. We are conducting this process in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.
- Title of Information Collection: Affidavit of Identifying Witness.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0088.
- Type of Request: Revision of a Currently Approved Collection.
- Originating Office: Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Passport Services, Office of Field Operations, Field Coordination Division. CA/PPT/FO/FC.
- Form Number: DS-0071.
- Respondents: Individuals or Households.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 336,000.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 336,000.
- Average Hours Per Response: 5 minutes.
- Total Estimated Burden: 28,000 hours.
- Frequency: On occasion.
- Obligation to Respond: Required To Obtain or Retain a Benefit.
The Department will accept comments from the public up to 60 days from December 19, 2008.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions): Andrina Agnew, U.S. Department of State, CA/PPT/FO/FC, 2100 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., 3rd Floor/Room 3040/SA-29, Washington, DC 20037.
You must include the DS form number (if applicable), information Start Printed Page 62360collection title, and OMB control number in any correspondence.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Direct requests for additional information regarding the collection listed in this notice, including requests for copies of the proposed information collection and supporting documents, to Andrina Agnew, U.S. Department of State, CA/PPT/FO/FC, 2100 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., 3rd Floor/Room 3040/SA-29, Washington, DC 20037, who may be reached at (202) 663-2445 or at email@example.com.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary for the proper performance of our functions.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of technology.
Abstract of Proposed Collection
The Affidavit of Identifying Witness, Form DS-0071, is used by the Department of State in making a determination of the applicant's eligibility to be documented as a citizen or a non-citizen national of the United States. The form is used by Acceptance Agents and Consular Officers to collect information for the purpose of establishing the identity of a passport applicant who has not submitted adequate evidence with his/her passport application. The primary purpose for soliciting the information is to establish identity and entitlement to issuance of a United States passport, and to properly administer and enforce the laws pertaining to issuance thereof. Lack of identity information may result in the application for a United States passport being denied. Inaccurate identity evidence could possibly result in issuance of a passport to a non-U.S. citizen or to someone using an assumed identity.
The Affidavit of Identifying Witness, Form DS-0071, is used in conjunction with the Application for a U.S. Passport, Form DS-0011. This affidavit is required to be included with a passport application only when the applicant for a passport is unable to establish his or her identity to the satisfaction of a person authorized to accept passport applications. The identifying witness must complete and sign this form in the presence of the person authorized to accept passport applications.Start Signature
Dated: October 10, 2008.
Brenda S. Sprague,
Deputy Assistant Secretary for Passport Services, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State.
[FR Doc. E8-24906 Filed 10-17-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-06-P