60-Day Notice of information collection under review: Extension of a currently approved collection; Claim for Damage, Injury, or Death.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Civil Division, will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until January 5, 2009. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Director, Torts Branch, Civil Division, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, DC 20530.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies' estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Claim for Damage, Injury, or Death.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: Form Number: CIV SF 95. Civil Division, U.S. Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or households. Other: Business or other for-profit, Not-for-profit institutions, and State, Local, or Tribal Governments. Abstract: This form is utilized by those persons making a claim against the United States Government under the Federal Tort Claims Act.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: It is estimated that there Start Printed Page 65884will be 100,000 respondents who will each require 6 hours to respond.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The total estimated annual burden hours to complete the certification form is 600,000 hours.
If additional information is required contact: Lynn Bryant, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: October 30, 2008.
Department Clearance Officer, PRA United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. E8-26324 Filed 11-4-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-12-P