Postal Regulatory Commission.
The Commission is noticing a recently-filed Postal Service request to add Parcel Select & Parcel Return Service Contract 1 to the Competitive Product List. The Postal Service has also filed one related contract. This notice addresses procedural steps associated with these filings.
Comments due December 10, 2008.
Submit comments electronically via the Commission's Filing Online system at http://www.prc.gov.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Stephen L. Sharfman, General Counsel, 202-789-6820 and firstname.lastname@example.org.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
On November 25, 2008, the Postal Service filed a formal request pursuant to 39 U.S.C. 3642 and 39 CFR 3020.30 et seq. to add Parcel Select & Parcel Return Service Contract 1 to the Competitive Product List. The Postal Service asserts that the Parcel Select & Parcel Return Service Contract 1 product is a competitive product “not of general applicability” within the meaning of 39 U.S.C. 3632(b)(3). Id. at 1. The Request has been assigned Docket No. MC2009-11.
Request. The Request incorporates (1) a redacted version of the Governors' Decision authorizing the new product; (2) a redacted version of the contract; (3) requested changes in the Mail Classification Schedule product list; (4) a statement of supporting justification as required by 39 CFR 3020.32; and (5) certification of compliance with 39 U.S.C. 3633(a). Substantively, the Start Printed Page 74215Request seeks to add Parcel Select & Parcel Return Service Contract 1 to the Competitive Product List. Id. at 1-2.
In the statement of supporting justification, Daniel J. Barrett, Acting Manager, Product & Business Development, Ground Shipping Services, asserts that the service to be provided under the contract will cover its attributable costs, make a positive contribution to institutional costs, and increase contribution toward the requisite 5.5 percent of the Postal Service's total institutional costs. Id., Attachment D. Thus, Mr. Barrett contends there will be no issue of subsidization of competitive products by market dominant products as a result of this contract. Id.
Related contract. A redacted version of the specific Parcel Select & Parcel Return Service Contract 1 is included with the Request. The contract is to expire on May 31, 2011, and is to be effective 1 day after the Commission provides all necessary regulatory approvals. The Postal Service represents that the contract is consistent with 39 U.S.C. 3633(a) and 39 CFR 3015.7(c). See id., Attachment A and Attachment E. It notes that the agreement remains profitable regardless of discount level and results in a positive contribution impact of the Postal Service under all conditions. Id., Attachment A.
The Postal Service filed much of the supporting materials, including the Governors' Decision and the specific Parcel Select & Parcel Return Service Contract 1, under seal. In its Request, the Postal Service maintains that the contract and related financial information, including the customer's name and the accompanying analyses that provide prices, terms, conditions, and financial projections should remain under seal. Id. at 2-3.
II. Notice of Filings
The Commission establishes Docket Nos. MC2009-11 and CP2009-13 for consideration of the Request pertaining to the proposed Parcel Select & Parcel Return Service Contract 1 product and the related contract, respectively. In keeping with practice, these dockets are addressed on a consolidated basis for purposes of this Order; however, future filings should be made in the specific docket in which issues being addressed pertain.
Interested persons may submit comments on whether the Postal Service's filings in the captioned dockets are consistent with the policies of 39 U.S.C. 3632, 3633, or 3642 and 39 CFR part 3015 and 39 CFR 3020 subpart B. Comments are due no later than December 10, 2008. The public portions of these filings can be accessed via the Commission's Web site (http://www.prc.gov).
The Commission appoints Michael J. Ravnitzky to serve as Public Representative in these dockets.
It is Ordered:
1. The Commission establishes Docket Nos. MC2009-11 and CP2009-13 for consideration of the matters raised in each docket.
2. Pursuant to 39 U.S.C. 505, Michael J. Ravnitzky is appointed to serve as officer of the Commission (Public Representative) to represent the interests of the general public in these proceedings.
3. Comments by interested persons in these proceedings are due no later than December 10, 2008.
4. The Secretary shall arrange for the publication of this Order in the Federal Register.Start Signature
By the Commission.
Steven W. Williams,
1. Request of the United States Postal Service to Add Parcel Select & Parcel Return Service Contract 1 to Competitive Product List and Notice of Establishment of Rates and Class Not of General Applicability, November 25, 2008 (Request).Back to Citation
2. Attachment A to the Request consists of the redacted Decision of the Governors of the United States Postal Service on Establishment of Rate and Class Not of General Applicability for Parcel Select & Parcel Return Service Contract 1 (Governors' Decision No. 08-21). The Governors' Decision includes an attachment which provides an analysis of the proposed Parcel Select & Parcel Return Service Contract 1. Attachment B is the redacted version of the contract. Attachment C shows the requested changes to the Mail Classification Schedule product list. Attachment D provides a statement of supporting justification for this Request. Attachment E provides the certification of compliance with 39 U.S.C. 3633(a).Back to Citation
3. The agreement may also be terminated sooner or be extended for an additional year under terms and conditions discussed in the contract. See Attachment B at Section III.Back to Citation
[FR Doc. E8-28834 Filed 12-4-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7710-FW-P