U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
Notice of pending NRC action to submit an information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and solicitation of public comment.
The NRC invites public comment about our intention to request the OMB's approval for renewal of an existing information collection that is summarized below. We are required to publish this notice in the Federal Register under the provisions of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. Chapter 35).
Information pertaining to the requirement to be submitted:
1. The title of the information collection: 10 CFR Part 62—“Criteria and Procedures for Emergency Access to Non-Federal and Regional Low-Level Waste Disposal Facilities.”
2. Current OMB approval number: 3150-0143.
3. How often the collection is required: The collection would only be required upon application for an exemption when access to a non-federal low-level waste disposal facility is denied, which results in a public health and safety and/or common defense and security concern.
4. Who is required or asked to report: Generators of low-level radioactive waste who are denied access to a non-Federal low-level radioactive waste and who wish to request emergency access for disposal at a non-Federal LLRW disposal facility pursuant to 10 CFR Part 62.
5. The number of annual respondents: 1.
6. The number of hours needed annually to complete the requirement or request: 233.
7. Abstract: 10 CFR part 62 sets out the information which must be provided to the NRC by any low-level waste generator seeking emergency access to an operating low-level waste disposal facility. The information is required to allow NRC to determine if denial of disposal constitutes a serious and immediate threat to public health and safety or common defense and security. 10 CFR part 62 also provides that the Commission may grant an exemption from the requirements in this part upon application of an interested person or upon its own initiative.
Submit, by April 10, 2009, comments that address the following questions:
1. Is the proposed collection of information necessary for the NRC to properly perform its functions? Does the information have practical utility?
2. Is the burden estimate accurate?
3. Is there a way to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected?
4. How can the burden of the information collection be minimized, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology?
A copy of the draft supporting statement may be viewed free of charge at the NRC Public Document Room, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Room O-1 F21, Rockville, Maryland 20852. OMB clearance requests are available at the NRC worldwide Web site: http://www.nrc.gov/public-involve/doc-comment/omb/index.html. The document will be available on the NRC home page site for 60 days after the signature date of this notice. Comments submitted in writing or in electronic form will be made available for public inspection. Because your comments will not be edited to remove any identifying or contact information, the NRC cautions you against including any information in your submission that you do not want to be publicly disclosed. Comments submitted should reference Docket No. NRC-2008-0565. You may submit your comments by any of the following methods. Electronic comments: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket No. NRC-2008-0565. Mail comments to NRC Clearance Officer, Gregory Trussell (T-5 F53), U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001. Questions about the information collection requirements may be directed to the NRC Clearance Officer, Gregory Trussell (T-5 F53), U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001, by telephone at 301-415-6445, or by e-mail to INFOCOLLECTS.Resource@NRC.GOV.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 26th day of January 2009.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission,
NRC Clearance Officer, Office of Information Services.
[FR Doc. E9-2620 Filed 2-6-09; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P