U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
Notice of pending NRC action to submit an information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and solicitation of public comment.
The NRC invites public comment about our intention to request the OMB's approval for renewal of an existing information collection that is summarized below. We are required to publish this notice in the Federal Register under the provisions of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. Chapter 35).
Information pertaining to the requirement to be submitted:
1. The title of the information collection: NRC Form 244, Registration Certificate—Use of Depleted Uranium under General License.
2. Current OMB approval number: 3150-0031.
3. How often the collection is required: On occasion. NRC Form 244 is submitted when depleted uranium is received or transferred under general license. Information on NRC Form 244 is collected and evaluated on a continuing basis as events occur.
4. Who is required or asked to report: Persons receiving, possessing, using, or transferring depleted uranium under the general license established in 10 CFR 40.25(a).
5. The number of annual respondents: 23 (4 NRC Licensees and 19 Agreement State licensees).
6. The number of hours needed annually to complete the requirement or request: 23 (1 hour per response—4 hours for NRC licensees and 19 hours for Agreement State licensees).
7. Abstract: 10 CFR Part 40 establishes requirements for licenses for the receipt, possession, use and transfer of radioactive source and byproduct material. NRC Form 244 is used to report receipt and transfer of depleted uranium under general license, as required by section 40.25. The registration certification information required by NRC Form 244 is necessary to permit the NRC to make a determination on whether the possession, use, and transfer of depleted uranium source and byproduct material is in conformance with the Commission's regulations for protection of public health and safety.
Submit, by May 29, 2009, comments that address the following questions:
1. Is the proposed collection of information necessary for the NRC to properly perform its functions? Does the information have practical utility?
2. Is the burden estimate accurate?
3. Is there a way to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected?
4. How can the burden of the information collection be minimized, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology?
A copy of the draft supporting statement may be viewed free of charge at the NRC Public Document Room, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Room O-1 F21, Rockville, Maryland 20852. OMB clearance requests are available at the NRC worldwide Web site: http://www.nrc.gov/public-involve/doc-comment/omb/index.html. The document will be available on the NRC home page site for 60 days after the signature date of this notice. Comments submitted in writing or in electronic form will be made available for public inspection. Because your comments will not be edited to remove any identifying or contact information, the NRC cautions you against including any information in your submission that you do not want to be publicly disclosed. Comments submitted should reference Docket No. NRC-2009-0136. You may submit your comments by any of the following methods. Electronic comments: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket No. NRC-2009-0136. Mail comments to NRC Clearance Officer, Gregory Trussell (T-5 F53), U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001. Questions about the information collection requirements may be directed to the NRC Clearance Officer, Gregory Trussell (T-5 F53), U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001, by telephone at 301-415-6445, or by e-mail to INFOCOLLECTS.Resource@NRC.GOV.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 20th day of March, 2009.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission,
NRC Clearance Officer, Office of Information Services.
[FR Doc. E9-6996 Filed 3-27-09; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P