Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC), HHS.
Section 3003(b)(3) of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 mandates that the HIT Standards Committee develop a schedule for the assessment of policy recommendations developed by the HIT Policy Committee and publish it in the Federal Register. This notice fulfills the requirements of Section 3003(b)(3) and shall be updated at least annually.
In anticipation of receiving recommendations originally developed by the HIT Policy Committee, the Standards Committee has created three (3) workgroups or subcommittees to analyze the areas of clinical quality, clinical operations, and privacy and security.
HIT Standards Committee Schedule for the Assessment of HIT Policy Committee Recommendations:Start Printed Page 24855
The National Coordinator will establish priority areas based in part of recommendations received from the HIT Policy Committee regarding health information technology standards, implementation specifications, and/or certification criteria. Once the HIT Standards Committee is informed of those priority areas, it will:
(A) Direct the appropriate subcommittee to develop a report for the HIT Standards Committee, to the extent possible, within 90 days, which will include among other items the following:
(1) An assessment of what standards, implementation specifications, and certification criteria are currently available to meet the priority area;
(2) an assessment of where gaps exist (i.e., no standard is available or harmonization is required because more than one standard exists) and identify potential organizations that have the capability to address those gaps; and
(3) a timeline, which will also account for NIST testing where appropriate, for the HIT Standards Committee to issue recommendation(s) to the National Coordinator.
(B) Upon receipt of a subcommittee report, the HIT Standards Committee will:
(1) accept the timeline provided by the subcommittee, and if necessary, revise it; and
(2) assign subcommittee(s) to conduct research and solicit testimony, where appropriate, and issue recommendations to the full committee, in a timely manner.
(C) Advise the National Coordinator, consistent with the accepted timeline in (B)(1) and after NIST testing, where appropriate, on standards, implementation specifications, and/or certification criteria, for the National Coordinator's review and possible endorsement to the Secretary of Health and Human Services.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
ONC/HHS, Judith Sparrow, (202) 205-4528.Start Signature
Dated: May 18, 2009.
National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology.
[FR Doc. E9-12175 Filed 5-20-09; 4:15 pm]
BILLING CODE 4150-45-P