60-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Extension of Existing Collection With Change; National Inmate Survey.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Justice Statistics, will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until March 23, 2010. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Paige M. Harrison, Bureau of Justice Statistics, 810 Seventh Street, NW., Washington, DC 20531 (phone: 202-514-0809).
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of existing collection with change.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: National Inmate Survey.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Paper and Pencil questionnaires—PAPI M12, PAPI M<12, PAPI F12, PAPI F<12, SP PAPI M12, SP PAPI M<12, SP PAPI F12, SP PAPI F<12; Facility Characteristics survey—NIS FS. The Bureau of Justice Statistics, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Justice is the sponsor for the collection.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: State, Local, or Tribal Government. Other: Federal Government, Business or other for-profit, Not-for-profit institutions. The work under this clearance will be used to produce estimates for the incidence and prevalence of sexual assault within correctional facilities as required under the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 (Pub. L. 108-79).
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time Start Printed Page 3758estimated for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 105,500 respondents will spend approximately 30 minutes on average responding to the survey.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 57,592 total burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Lynn Bryant, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: January 19, 2010.
Department Clearance Officer, PRA, U.S. Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2010-1210 Filed 1-21-10; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18-P