Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA.
Approval of an information collection; comment request.
In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, this notice announces the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service’s intention to request approval of an information collection associated with the National Veterinary Services Laboratories animal health diagnostic system.
We will consider all comments that we receive on or before August 3, 2010.
You may submit comments by either of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to (http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=DocketDetail&d=APHIS-2010-0034) to submit or view comments and to view supporting and related materials available electronically.
- Postal Mail/Commercial Delivery: Please send one copy of your comment to Docket No. APHIS-2010-0034, Regulatory Analysis and Development, PPD, APHIS, Station 3A-03.8, 4700 River Road Unit 118, Riverdale, MD 20737-1238. Please state that your comment refers to Docket No. APHIS-2010-0034.
Reading Room: You may read any comments that we receive on this docket in our reading room. The reading room is located in room 1141 of the USDA South Building, 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW., Washington, DC. Normal reading room hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. To be sure someone is there to help you, please call (202) 690-2817 before coming.
Other Information: Additional information about APHIS and its programs is available on the Internet at (http://www.aphis.usda.gov).Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
For information on request forms associated with the National Veterinary Services Laboratories animal health diagnostic system, contact Dr. Nancy Clough, VS, APHIS, 1920 Dayton Avenue, Ames, IA 50010; (515) 337-7989. For copies of more detailed information on the information collection, contact Mrs. Celeste Sickles, APHIS’ Information Collection Coordinator, at (301) 851-2908.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Title: National Veterinary Services Laboratories Request Forms.
OMB Number: 0579-XXXX.
Type of Request: Approval of an information collection.
Abstract: Under the Animal Health Protection Act (7 U.S.C. 8301 et seq.), the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture is authorized, among other things, to carry out activities to detect, control, and eradicate pests and diseases of livestock within the United States. To carry out this mission, APHIS’ National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) safeguard U.S animal health and contribute to public health by ensuring that timely and accurate laboratory support is provided by their nationwide animal health diagnostic system.
NVSL support activities provide upon request reagents or supplies and training to domestic and foreign diagnostic laboratories, governments, researchers, and private veterinary practitioners. These activities involve information collection activities, including the VS Form 4-9, Request for Reagents or Supplies; VS Form 4-10, NVSL Customer Contact Update; and VS Form 4-11, Request for NVSL Laboratory Training.
We are asking the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to approve our use of these information collection activities for 3 years.
The purpose of this notice is to solicit comments from the public (as well as affected agencies) concerning our information collection. These comments will help us:
(1) Evaluate whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the Agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, through use, as appropriate, of automated, electronic, mechanical, and other collection technologies; e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Estimate of burden: The public reporting burden for this collection of information is estimated to average 0.2488771 hours per response.
Respondents: Domestic and foreign diagnostic laboratories, governments, researchers, and private veterinary practitioners.
Estimated annual number of respondents: 1,085.
Estimated annual number of responses per respondent: 3.4884792.
Estimated annual number of responses: 3,785.
Estimated total annual burden on respondents: 942 hours. (Due to averaging, the total annual burden hours may not equal the product of the annual number of responses multiplied by the reporting burden per response.)
All responses to this notice will be summarized and included in the request for OMB approval. All comments will also become a matter of public record.
Done in Washington, DC, this 28th day of May 2010.Start Signature
Acting Administrator, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
[FR Doc. 2010-13442 Filed 6-3-10: 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE: 3410-34-S