This site displays a prototype of a “Web 2.0” version of the daily Federal Register. It is not an official legal edition of the Federal Register, and does not replace the official print version or the official electronic version on GPO’s govinfo.gov.
The documents posted on this site are XML renditions of published Federal Register documents. Each document posted on the site includes a link to the corresponding official PDF file on govinfo.gov. This prototype edition of the daily Federal Register on FederalRegister.gov will remain an unofficial informational resource until the Administrative Committee of the Federal Register (ACFR) issues a regulation granting it official legal status. For complete information about, and access to, our official publications and services, go to About the Federal Register on NARA's archives.gov.
The OFR/GPO partnership is committed to presenting accurate and reliable regulatory information on FederalRegister.gov with the objective of establishing the XML-based Federal Register as an ACFR-sanctioned publication in the future. While every effort has been made to ensure that the material on FederalRegister.gov is accurately displayed, consistent with the official SGML-based PDF version on govinfo.gov, those relying on it for legal research should verify their results against an official edition of the Federal Register. Until the ACFR grants it official status, the XML rendition of the daily Federal Register on FederalRegister.gov does not provide legal notice to the public or judicial notice to the courts.
U.S. Department of the Interior.
Correction and Supplement.
In compliance with section 3506(c)(2)(A) of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, the Office of the Secretary of the Department of the Interior announces the proposed revision of an information collection “Klamath Non-use Valuation Survey,” Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Control No. 1090-0010, and that it is seeking comments on its provisions. As required by the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 and as part of our continuing efforts to reduce paperwork and respondent burden, we invite the general public and other Federal agencies to take this opportunity to comment on this information collection.
You may submit your comments directly to the Desk Officer for the Department of the Interior (OMB 1090-0010), Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, OMB, by electronic mail at OIRA_DOCKET@omb.eop.gov or by fax at 202-395-5806. Please also send a copy of your comments to the Department of the Interior; Office of Policy Analysis, Attention: Don Bieniewicz, Mail Stop 3530; 1849 C Street, NW., Washington, DC 20240. If you wish to e-mail comments, the e-mail address is Donald_Bieniewicz@ios.doi.gov. Reference “Klamath Non-use valuation survey” in your e-mail subject line. Include your name and return address in your e-mail message and mark your message for return receipt.
OMB has 60 days to review this request but may act after 30 days, therefore you should submit your comments on or before September 29, 2010.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Benjamin Simon, Economics Staff Director, Office of Policy Analysis, U.S. Department of the Interior telephone at 202-208-5978 or by e-mail at Benjamin_Simon@ios.doi.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
This Notice corrects and supplements the Notice that was published on August 30, 2010.
Office of Management and Budget (OMB) regulations at 5 CFR part 1320, which implement the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (Pub. L. 104-13), require that interested members of the public and affected agencies have an opportunity to comment on information collection and recordkeeping activities (see 5 CFR 1320.8(d)). This notice identifies an information collection activity that the Office of the Secretary has submitted to OMB for revision.
The Klamath River provides habitat for fall and spring run Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha), coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch), steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), green sturgeon (Acipenser medirostris), Pacific lamprey (Lampetra tridentate), and Pacific eulachon (Thaleichthys pacificus). Some of these species are important components of non-tribal harvest (e.g., fall Chinook, steelhead), some have important subsistence and cultural value to Klamath Basin tribes (e.g., salmon, sturgeon, lamprey, eulachon), and some are at low levels of abundance or Endangered Species Act-listed (e.g., spring Chinook, lamprey, coho, eulachon).
Studies on the potential removal of four dams on the Klamath River owned by PacifiCorp are being conducted as a result of the Klamath Hydroelectic Settlement Agreement (KHSA) executed February 18, 2010. Under the KHSA, the Secretary of the Interior is to determine by March 31, 2012, whether the potential removal of these dams will advance restoration of the salmonid fisheries of the Klamath Basin and is in the public interest, which includes but is not limited to consideration of potential impacts on affected local communities and Tribes. The determination will be based on a number of factors, including an economic analysis. One part of the economic analysis is a non-use valuation survey that is designed to determine the potential benefits of dam removal that may accrue to members of the U.S. public who value such improvements regardless of whether they consume Klamath Basin fish or visit the Klamath Basin. Non-use valuation surveys such as the one discussed herein are routinely included as a part of the economic analysis for large-scale water development projects.
Title: Klamath Non-Use Valuation Survey.
OMB Control Number: 1090-0010.
Type of Review: Revision of an approved collection.
Affected Entities: Households.
Respondent's Obligation: Voluntary.
Frequency of Response: One time.
Estimated Annual Number of Respondents: 10,885 households who will receive the survey (3,389 respondents and 7,496 non-respondents).
Estimated Total Annual Responses: 3,389.
Estimated Time per Response: The base for this survey is 10,885 households. The households will be divided into two mailing groups, at a 10/90 split. The first wave of mailings will be to 10% of the households. 17% of households are estimated to respond, which will take 30 minutes. Non-respondents will take 3 minutes. The second mailing will be sent to the remaining 83% of non-respondent households. 10% of the households are estimated to respond to the second mailing, taking 30 minutes. The second group of non-respondents are estimated to spend 3 minutes. The Department will then conduct preliminary analysis.
The second wave of mailings will be to the remaining 90% of the households. 17% of households are estimated to respond, which will take 30 minutes. Non-respondents will take 3 minutes. The second phase will be sent to the remaining 83% of non-respondent households. 10% of the households are estimated to respond to the second mailing, taking 30 minutes. The second group of non-respondents are estimated to spend 3 minutes.
The remaining non-respondents from the second mailings will be split into two groups in a 80/20 split. It is Start Printed Page 54648assumed that 65% of the non-respondent households will have a phone number. Both groups will be sent another copy of the survey. For the households with a phone number, a non response bias call will be made, taking an estimated 2 to 5 minutes.
Estimated Total Annual Burden Hours: 3,205 hours.
III. Request for Comments
On June 9, 2009, we published in the Federal Register (74 FR 27340) a request for public comments on this proposed survey. No comments were received. This notice provides the public with an additional opportunity to comment on the proposed information collection activity. The Department of the Interior invites comments on:
(1) Whether or not the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) The accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the collection and the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Ways to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Ways to minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other collection techniques or other forms of information technology.
Burden means the total time, effort, or financial resources expended by persons to generate, maintain, retain, disclose, or prove information to or for a Federal agency.
An agency may not conduct or sponsor, and a person is not required to respond to, a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid Office of Management and Budget control number.Start Signature
Dated: September 2, 2010.
Benjamin M. Simon,
Economics Staff Director, Office of Policy Analysis.
[FR Doc. 2010-22285 Filed 9-7-10; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4310-RK-P