60-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until December 20, 2010. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Gary Schaible, National Firearms Act Branch, Room 5100, 650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20226
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.Start Printed Page 64354
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application For Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF F 5 (5320.5). Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: Individual or households and State, Local, or Tribal Government. ATF F 5 (5320.5) is used to apply for permission to transfer a National Firearms Act (NFA) firearm exempt from transfer tax bases on statutory exemptions. The information on the form is used by NFA Branch personnel to determine the legality of the application under Federal, State and local law.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 7,888 respondents will complete a 4-hour form.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 379,896 annual total burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Lynn Murray, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Two Constitution Square, Room 2E-502, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: October 14, 2010.
Department Clearance Officer, PRA, U.S. Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2010-26306 Filed 10-18-10; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P