Department of Defense (DoD), General Services Administration (GSA), and National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
DoD, GSA, and NASA are issuing a final rule amending the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) to clarify the applicability of procedures regarding the termination of contracts to the acquisition of commercial items.
Effective Date: January 31, 2011.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
For clarification of content, contact Ms. Jeritta Parnell, at (202) 501-4082. For information pertaining to status or publication schedules, contact the Regulatory Secretariat at (202) 501-4755. Please cite FAC 2005-48, FAR Case 2009-031.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
DoD, GSA, and NASA published a proposed rule with request for comments in the Federal Register on May 20, 2010 (75 FR 28228). This rule clarifies that FAR part 49, Termination of Contracts, does not apply to the acquisition of commercial items when using FAR part 12 procedures.
Discussion of Public Comments
One respondent provided two comments. A discussion of the comments and the changes made to the proposed rule are summarized as follows:
1. Comment: The respondent recommended clarifying the coverage at FAR 49.501 by moving the existing language to FAR 49.002. This language clarifies that FAR part 49 does not apply to commercial item contracts awarded using FAR part 12 procedures.
Response: The Defense Acquisition Regulation Council and the Civilian Agency Acquisition Council (Councils) agree. The language at FAR 49.501, pertaining to the applicability of FAR part 49 to commercial item contracts has Start Printed Page 82577been relocated to FAR 49.002. FAR 49.002(a) is reformatted by adding “(1)” to existing language for sequencing. Additionally, new language was added in (a)(2) to clarify that FAR part 49 does not apply to the acquisition of commercial items when using procedures at FAR part 12.
2. Comment: The respondent recommends simplifying FAR 49.502(a) by removing and relocating the reference to the exceptions for FAR 52.212-4 and 52.213-4 to FAR 49.002.
Response: The Councils agree. The language pertaining to FAR 52.212-4 was relocated to FAR 49.002 as addressed under the first comment. Reference to FAR 52.213-4 remains in FAR 49.501.
II. Executive Order 12866
This is not a significant regulatory action and, therefore, was not subject to review under Section 6(b) of Executive Order 12866, Regulatory Planning and Review, dated September 30, 1993. This is not a major rule under 5 U.S.C. 804.
III. Regulatory Flexibility Act
DOD, GSA, and NASA certify that this final rule will not have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities within the meaning of the Regulatory Flexibility Act, 5 U.S.C. 601, et seq., because the rule does not impose any additional requirements on small entities. The rule merely clarifies that FAR part 49 does not apply to the acquisition of commercial items when using procedures in FAR part 12.
IV. Paperwork Reduction Act
The final rule does not contain any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under the Paperwork Reduction Act (44 U.S.C. chapter 35).Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Part 49End List of Subjects Start Signature
Dated: December 22, 2010.
Acting Director, Federal Acquisition Policy Division.
Therefore, DoD, GSA, and NASA amendEnd Amendment Part Start Part
PART 49—TERMINATION OF CONTRACTSEnd Part Start Amendment Part
1. The authority citation forEnd Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
2. Amend section 49.002 by revising paragraph (a) to read as follows:End Amendment Part
(a)(1) This part applies to contracts that provide for termination for the convenience of the Government or for the default of the contractor (see also 12.403 and 13.302-4).
(2) This part does not apply to commercial item contracts awarded using part 12 procedures. See 12.403 for termination policies for contracts for the acquisition of commercial items. However, for contracts for the acquisition of commercial items, this part provides administrative guidance which may be followed unless it is inconsistent with the requirements and procedures in 12.403, Termination, and the clause at 52.212-4, Contract Terms and Conditions—Commercial Items.
3. Revise section 49.501 to read as follows:End Amendment Part
This subpart prescribes the principal contract termination clauses. This subpart does not apply to contracts that use the clause at 52.213-4, Terms and Conditions—Simplified Acquisitions (Other Than Commercial Items). In appropriate cases, agencies may authorize the use of special purpose clauses, if consistent with this chapter.
[FR Doc. 2010-32893 Filed 12-29-10; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6820-EP-P