Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Notice of issuance and availability of Draft Regulatory Guide, DG-1197, “Inservice Inspection of Prestressed Concrete Containment Structures with Grouted Tendons.”Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Herman Graves, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001, telephone: (301) 251-3307or e-mail to Madhumita.Sircar@nrc.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is issuing for public comment a draft guide in the agency's “Regulatory Guide” series. This series was developed to describe and make available to the public such information as methods that are acceptable to the NRC staff for implementing specific parts of the NRC's regulations, techniques that the staff uses in evaluating specific problems or postulated accidents, and data that the staff needs in its review of applications for permits and licenses.
The draft regulatory guide (DG), titled, “Inservice Inspection of Prestressed Concrete Containment Structures with Grouted Tendons,” is temporarily identified by its task number, DG-1197, which should be mentioned in all related correspondence.
DG-1197, proposed Revision 2 of Regulatory Guide 1.90, describes an approach that the staff of the NRC considers acceptable for use in developing an appropriate surveillance program for prestressed concrete containment structures with grouted tendons. The purpose of this guide is to provide recommendations for inservice inspection (ISI) of containments and quality standards that should be maintained when portland cement grout is used for the corrosion protection of prestressing steel.
The recommendations described in this draft regulatory guide are an approach acceptable to the NRC staff for satisfying the requirements of General Design Criterion (GDC) 53, “Provisions for Containment Testing and Inspection,” as specified in Appendix A, “General Design Criteria for Nuclear Power Plants,” to Title 10, Part 50, “Domestic Licensing of Production and Utilization Facilities,” of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR part 50). Among the specific requirements of GDC 53 are that the containment be designed to permit (1) appropriate periodic inspection of all important areas and (2) an appropriate surveillance program.
II. Further Information
The NRC staff is soliciting comments on DG-1197. Comments may be accompanied by relevant information or supporting data, and should mention DG-1197 in the subject line.
Please include Docket ID NRC-2011-0096 in the subject line of your comments. Comments submitted in writing or in electronic form will be posted on the NRC Web site and on the Federal rulemaking Web site, http://www.regulations.gov. Because your comments will not be edited to remove any identifying or contact information, the NRC cautions you against including any information in your submission that you do not want to be publicly disclosed.
The NRC requests that any party soliciting or aggregating comments received from other persons for submission to the NRC inform those persons that the NRC will not edit their comments to remove any identifying or contact information, and therefore, they should not include any information in their comments that they do not want publicly disclosed. You may submit comments by any one of the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web Site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for documents filed under Docket ID NRC-2011-0096. Address questions about NRC dockets to Carol Gallagher, telephone: 301-492-3668; e-mail: Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov.
- Mail comments to: Cindy Bladey, Chief, Rules, Announcements, and Directives Branch (RADB), Office of Administration, Mail Stop: TWB-05-B01M, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
- Fax comments to: RADB at 301-492-3446.
You can access publicly available documents related to this notice using the following methods:
- NRC's Public Document Room (PDR): The public may examine and have copied, for a fee, publicly available documents at the NRC's PDR, O1-F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852.
- NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS): Publicly available documents created or received at the NRC are Start Printed Page 23846available online in the NRC Library at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html. From this page, the public can gain entry into ADAMS, which provides text and image files of the NRC's public documents. If you do not have access to ADAMS or if there are problems in accessing the documents located in ADAMS, contact the NRC's PDR reference staff at 1-800-397-4209, 301-415-4737, or by e-mail to email@example.com. The Regulatory Analysis is available electronically under ADAMS Accession Number ML103190466.
- Federal Rulemaking Web Site: Public comments and supporting materials related to this notice can be found at http://www.regulations.gov by searching on Docket ID NRC-2011-0096.
Comments would be most helpful if received by June 26, 2011. Comments received after that date will be considered if it is practical to do so, but the NRC is able to ensure consideration only for comments received on or before this date. Although a time limit is given, comments and suggestions in connection with items for inclusion in guides currently being developed or improvements in all published guides are encouraged at any time.
Electronic copies of DG-1197 are available through the NRC's public Web site under Draft Regulatory Guides in the “Regulatory Guides” collection of the NRC's Electronic Reading Room at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/. Electronic copies are also available in ADAMS (http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html), under Accession No. ML081560507.
Regulatory guides are not copyrighted, and Commission approval is not required to reproduce them.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland this 19th day of April, 2011.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Acting Chief, Regulatory Guide Development Branch, Division of Engineering, Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research.
[FR Doc. 2011-10336 Filed 4-27-11; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P