Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Notice of Issuance and Availability of Draft Regulatory Guide, DG-1253, “Preoperational Testing of Emergency Core Cooling Systems for Pressurized-Water Reactors”.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Mekonen M. Bayssie, Regulatory Guide Development Branch, Division of Engineering, Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001, telephone: 301-251-7489 or e-mail: Mekonen Bayssie@nrc.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is issuing for public comment a draft guide in the agency's “Regulatory Guide” series. This series was developed to describe and make available to the public such information as methods that are acceptable to the NRC staff for implementing specific parts of the NRC's regulations, techniques that the staff uses in evaluating specific problems or postulated accidents, and data that the staff needs in its review of applications for permits and licenses.
The draft regulatory guide (DG), entitled, “Preoperational Testing of Emergency Core Cooling Systems for Pressurized-Water Reactors,” is temporarily identified by its task number, DG-1253, which should be mentioned in all related correspondence. DG-1253 is proposed Revision 2 of Regulatory Guide 1.79, dated September 1975.
This guide describes methods that the NRC's staff considers acceptable to implement Title 10, of the Code of Federal Regulations, part 50, “Domestic Licensing of Production and Utilization Facilities” (10 CFR part 50), Appendix A, “General Design Criteria for Nuclear Power Plants,” with regard to preoperational testing features of emergency core cooling systems (ECCSs) for pressurized-water reactors (PWRs). This regulatory guide also describes methods that the NRC staff finds acceptable for preoperational testing of ECCS structures, systems, and components (SSCs), in accordance with the regulations in 10 CFR part 52, “Licenses, Certifications, and Approvals for Nuclear Power Plants,” Subpart B, “Standard Design Certifications,” and Subpart C,” Combined Licenses.”
II. Further Information
The NRC staff is soliciting comments on DG-1253. Comments may be accompanied by relevant information or supporting data and should mention DG-1253 in the subject line. Comments submitted in writing or in electronic form will be made available to the public in their entirety through the NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS).
Please include Docket ID NRC-2011-0129 in the subject line of your comments. Comments submitted in writing or in electronic form will be posted on the NRC Web site and on the Federal rulemaking Web site, http://www.regulations.gov. Because your comments will not be edited to remove any identifying or contact information, the NRC cautions you against including any information in your submission that you do not want to be publicly disclosed.
The NRC requests that any party soliciting or aggregating comments received from other persons for submission to the NRC inform those persons that the NRC will not edit their comments to remove any identifying or contact information, and therefore, they should not include any information in their comments that they do not want publicly disclosed. You may submit comments by any one of the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web Site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for documents filed under Docket ID NRC-2011-0129. Address questions about NRC dockets to Carol Gallagher, telephone: 301-492-3668; e-mail: Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov.
- Mail comments to: Cindy Bladey, Chief, Rules, Announcements, and Directives Branch (RADB), Office of Administration, Mail Stop: TWB-05-B01M, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
- Fax comments to: RADB at 301-492-3446.
You can access publicly available documents related to this notice using the following methods:
- NRC's Public Document Room (PDR): The public may examine and have copied, for a fee, publicly available documents at the NRC's PDR, O1-F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852.
- NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS): Publicly available documents created or received at the NRC are available online in the NRC Library at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html. From this page, the public can gain entry into ADAMS, which provides text and image files of the NRC's public documents. If you do not have access to ADAMS or if there are problems in accessing the documents located in ADAMS, contact the NRC's PDR reference staff at 1-800-397-4209, 301-415-4737, or by e-mail to email@example.com. The Regulatory Analysis is available electronically under ADAMS Accession Number ML110110489.
- Federal Rulemaking Web Site: Public comments and supporting materials related to this notice can be found at http://www.regulations.gov by searching on Docket ID NRC-2011-0129.
Comments would be most helpful if received by August 5, 2011. Comments received after that date will be considered if it is practical to do so, but the NRC is able to ensure consideration only for comments received on or before this date. Although a time limit is given, comments and suggestions in connection with items for inclusion in guides currently being developed or improvements in all published guides are encouraged at any time.
Electronic copies of DG-1253 are available through the NRC's public Web site under Draft Regulatory Guides in the “Regulatory Guides” collection of Start Printed Page 32879the NRC's Electronic Reading Room at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/. Electronic copies are also available in ADAMS (http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html), under Accession No. ML110110480.
Regulatory guides are not copyrighted, and Commission approval is not required to reproduce them.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 27th day of May, 2011.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Acting Chief, Regulatory Guide Development Branch, Division of Engineering, Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research.
[FR Doc. 2011-13970 Filed 6-6-11; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P