30-Day Notice and requests for comments.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register Volume 76, Number 99, page 29791-29792, on May 23, 2011, allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until August 31, 2011. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments concerning this information collection should be sent to the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office of Management and Budget, Attn: DOJ Desk Officer. The best way to ensure your comments are received is to email them to email@example.com or fax them to 202-395-7285. All comments should reference the 8 digit OMB number for the collection or the title of the collection. If you have questions concerning the collection, please call Barbara A. Terrell, at 202-648-7122 or the DOJ Desk Officer at 202-395-3176.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Summary of Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension without change of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Firearms Transaction Record, Part 1, Over-the-Counter.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF F 4473 (5300.9) Part 1, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or households. Other: Business or other for-profit.
Need for Collection
The form is used to determine the eligibility (under the Gun Control Act) of a person to receive a firearm from a Federal firearm licensee and to establish the identity of the buyer. It is also used in law enforcement investigations/inspections to trace firearms.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: ATF estimates that 112,073 respondents will respond to the collection and that the total amount of time to read the instructions and complete the form on average is 25 minutes.
(6) An estimate of the total burden (in hours) associated with the collection: ATF estimates 56,037 annual total burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Jerri Murray at http://www.DOJ.PRA@usdoj.gov, Department Clearance Officer, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, Department of Justice, Two Constitution Square, 145 N Street, NE., Room 2E-508, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Department Clearance Officer, PRA, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2011-19370 Filed 7-29-11; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P