This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 03/12/2012 at 08:45 am.
Draft regulatory guide; request for comment.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC or the Commission) is issuing for public comment draft regulatory guide (DG), DG-8051, “Bioassay at Uranium Mills.” This guide describes a bioassay program acceptable to the NRC staff for uranium mills and applicable portions of uranium conversion facilities where the possibility of exposure to yellowcake dust exists, including exposure conditions with and without the use of respiratory protection devices.
Submit comments by May 11, 2012. Comments received after this date will be considered if it is practical to do so, but the NRC is able to ensure consideration only for comments received on or before this date. Although a time limit is given, comments and suggestions in connection with items for inclusion in guides currently being developed or improvements in all published guides are encouraged at any time.
You may access information and comment submissions related to this document, which the NRC possesses and is publicly available, by searching on http://www.regulations.gov under Docket ID NRC-2012-0057. You may submit comments by the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2012-0057. Address questions about NRC dockets to Carol Gallagher; telephone: 301-492-3668; email: Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov.
- Mail comments to: Cindy Bladey, Chief, Rules, Announcements, and Directives Branch (RADB), Office of Administration, Mail Stop: TWB-05-B01M, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
- Fax comments to: RADB at 301-492-3446.
For additional direction on accessing information and submitting comments, see “Accessing Information and Submitting Comments” in the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this document.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
R. A. Jervey, Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001; telephone: 301-251-7404; or email Richard.Jervey@nrc.gov.
I. Accessing Information and Submitting Comments
A. Accessing Information
Please refer to Docket ID NRC-2012-0057 when contacting the NRC about the availability of information regarding this document. You may access information related to this document, which the NRC possesses and is publicly available, by the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web Site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2012-0057.
- NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS): You may access publicly available documents online in the NRC Library at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html. To begin the search, select “ADAMS Public Documents” and then select “Begin Web-based ADAMS Search.” For problems with ADAMS, please contact the NRC's Public Document Room (PDR) reference staff at 1-800-397-4209, 301-415-4737, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The draft regulatory guide is available under ADAMS accession No. ML110960333. The regulatory analysis may be found in ADAMS under accession No. ML110960341.
Regulatory guides are not copyrighted, and NRC approval is not required to reproduce them.
II. Further Information
The NRC is issuing for public comment a draft guide in the agency's “Regulatory Guide” series. This series was developed to describe and make available to the public such information as methods that are acceptable to the NRC staff for implementing specific parts of the NRC's regulations, techniques that the staff uses in evaluating specific problems or postulated accidents, and data that the staff needs in its review of applications for permits and licenses.
The draft regulatory guide, entitled, “Bioassay at Uranium Mills,” is temporarily identified by its task number, DG-8051, which should be mentioned in all related correspondence. DG-8051 is proposed Revision 2 of Regulatory Guide 8.22, previously revised in August 1988.
This guide is being updated to incorporate changes made in 10 CFR Part 20 since Regulatory Guide 8.22, Revision 1 was issued. Comments related to the operation of in-situ recovery mills and associated considerations for bioassay are of particular interest.
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 6th day of March, 2012.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Thomas H. Boyce,
Chief, Regulatory Guide Development Branch, Division of Engineering, Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research.
[FR Doc. 2012-6001 Filed 3-12-12; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P