This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 05/31/2012 at 08:45 am.
Notice of request for public comments.
The Department of State is seeking Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval for the information collection described below. The purpose of this notice is to allow 60 days for public comment in the Federal Register preceding submission to OMB. We are conducting this process in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.
- Title of Information Collection: Request for Entry into Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0169.
- Type of Request: Extension.
- Originating Office: CA/OCS/PRI.
- Form Number: DS-3077.
- Respondents: Concerned parents or their agents, institutions, or courts.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 8,000.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 8,000.
- Average Hours Per Response: 30 minutes.
- Total Estimated Burden: 4,000 hrs.
- Frequency: On occasion.
- Obligation to Respond: Voluntary.
The Department will accept comments from the public up to 60 days from June 1, 2012.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- Web: Persons with access to the Internet may view and comment on this notice by going to the Federal regulations Web site at www.regulations.gov. You can search for the document by: selecting “Notice” under Document Type, entering the Public Notice number as the “Keyword or ID”, checking the “Open for Comment” box, and then click “Search”. If necessary, use the “Narrow by Agency” option on the Results page.
- Email: ASKPRI@state.gov.
- Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions): U.S. Department of State, CA/OCS/PRI, SA-29, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20520.
- Fax: 202-736-9111.
You must include the DS form number (if applicable), information collection title, and OMB control number in any correspondence.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Requests for additional information regarding the collection listed in this notice, including requests for copies of the proposed information collection should be made to Derek A Rivers, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Overseas Citizens Services (CA/OCS/PRI), U.S. Department of State, SA-29, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20520, who may be reached on (202) 202-663-3585 or ASKPRI@state.gov.
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary for the proper performance of our functions.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of technology.
Abstract of proposed collection:
The information requested will be used to support entry of a minor's (an unmarried person under 18) name into the Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP). CPIAP provides a mechanism for parents or other persons with legal custody of a minor to obtain information regarding whether the Department has received a passport application for the minor. This program was developed as a means to prevent international abduction of a minor or to help prevent other travel of a minor without the consent of a parent or legal guardian. If a minor's name and other identifying information has been entered into the CPIAP, when the Department receives an application for a new, replacement, or renewed passport for the minor, the application will be placed on hold for up to 60 days and the Office of Children's Issues will attempt to notify the requestor of receipt of the application. Form DS-3077 will be primarily submitted by a parent or legal guardian of a minor.
The completed form DS-3077 may be submitted to the Office of Children's Issues by mail, by fax, or electronically through www.travel.state.gov.
Dated: May 19, 2012.
Managing Director, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State.
[FR Doc. 2012-13339 Filed 5-31-12; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-06-P