60-Day Notice of Information Collection.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. This proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until August 24, 2012. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Erica Reid, Program Analyst, Firearms Industry Programs Branch at FederalRegisterNoticeATFF4473@atf.gov.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Summary of Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension without change of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Firearms Transaction Record, Part 1, Over-the-Counter.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF F 4473 (5300.9) Part 1. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or households. Other: Business or other for-profit.
Need for Collection
The form is used to determine the eligibility, under the Gun Control Act (GCA), of a person to receive a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee and to establish the identity of the buyer/transferee. It is also used in law enforcement investigations/inspections to trace firearms and confirm that licensees are complying with their recordkeeping obligations under the GCA.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 14,409,616 respondents will respond to the collection each year and that the total amount of time to read the instructions and complete the form on average is 30 minutes.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: ATF estimates 7,204,808 annual total burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Jerri Murray, Department Clearance Officer, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, Department of Justice, Two Constitution Square, Room 2E-508, 145 N Street NE., Washington, DC 20530.
Department Clearance Officer, PRA, U.S. Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2012-15401 Filed 6-22-12; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P