This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 12/21/2012 at 04:15 pm.
Notice of request for public comment and submission to OMB of proposed collection of information.
The Department of State has submitted the information collection described below to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for approval. In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 we are requesting comments on this collection from all interested individuals and organizations. The purpose of this Notice is to allow 30 days for public comment.
Submit comments directly to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) up to January 25, 2013.
Direct comments to the Department of State Desk Officer in the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). You may submit comments by the following methods:
- Email: email@example.com. You must include the DS form number, information collection title, and the OMB control number in the subject line of your message.
- Fax: 202-395-5806. Attention: Desk Officer for Department of State.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Direct requests for additional information regarding the collection listed in this notice, including requests for copies of the proposed collection instrument and supporting documents, to Derek A. Rivers, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Overseas Citizens Services (CA/OCS/L), U.S. Department of State, SA-29, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20520 or at CA-OCS-L@state.gov.
- Title of Information Collection: Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0011.
- Type of Request: Extension.
- Originating Office: Bureau of Consular Affairs, Overseas Citizens Services (CA/OCS).
- Form Number: DS-2029.
Respondents: Parents or legal guardians of United States citizen children born overseas.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 68,627.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 68,627.
- Average Time Per Response: 20 minutes.
- Total Estimated Burden Time: 22,876 hours.
- Frequency: On Occasion.
- Obligation to Respond: Voluntary.
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary for the proper functions of the Department.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the time and cost burden for this proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology.
Please note that comments submitted in response to this Notice are public record. Before including any detailed personal information, you should be aware that your comments as submitted, including your personal information, will be available for public review.
Abstract of Proposed Collection
The DS-2029, Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America, is used by citizens of the United States to report the birth of a child while overseas. The information collected on this form will be used to certify the acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth of a person born abroad and can be used by that person throughout life. 22 CFR § 50.5-50.7 are important legal authorities that permit the Department to use this form.
The DS-2029 is currently available to download from the Internet. An application for a Consular Report of Birth is normally made in the consular district in which the birth occurred. The parent respondents will complete the form and present it to a United States Consulate or Embassy, who will examine the documentation and enter the information provided into the Department of State American Citizen Services (ACS) electronic database.
Dated: November 21, 2012.
Managing Director, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Overseas Citizen Services, Department of State.
[FR Doc. 2012-31110 Filed 12-21-12; 4:15 pm]
BILLING CODE 4710-06-P