The Department of Justice (DOJ) Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register Volume 78, Number 23, page 7812, on February 4, 2013, allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until May 6, 2013. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments, especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Danielle Ouellette, Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, 145 N Street, NE., Washington, DC 20530.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Proposed new collection; comments requested.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: COPS Survey on Police Consolidation and Shared Services.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: None. U.S. Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: In collaboration with the Michigan State University's School of Criminal Justice, the purpose of this one-time survey with is to conduct the first-ever census of public safety departments, which includes agencies that have at consolidated police and fire functions into a single organization. The survey will identify the nature, structure, function, organizational characteristics, and community policing activities of these departments. This information will be used to assess the implementation and variation of these departments, support a framework to advance further research on this type of agency and form of public safety delivery, and facilitate peer-to-peer information sharing.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: It is estimated that 135 respondents annually will complete the form within 1 hour.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 135 total annual burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Jerri Murray, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Two Constitution Square, 145 N Street NE., Room 3W-1407, Washington, DC 20530.
Dated: April 4, 2013.
Department Clearance Officer, PRA, U.S. Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2013-07964 Filed 4-4-13; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-AT-P