Start Printed Page 45274
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until September 24, 2013. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Chief, Firearms Industry Programs Branch at email@example.com.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Summary of Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: New collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application for Alternate Means of Identification of Firearms (Markings Variance).
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF Form 3311.4. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: None.
Need for Collection
Licensed firearms manufacturers and licensed firearms importers must legibly mark firearms manufactured or imported with specific identifying information. ATF may authorize other means of identification (marking variance) upon receipt of a letter application showing that such other identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of the firearms regulations. ATF Form 3311.4 will be used as a letter application for licensed Federal importers and manufacturers to request approval to use an alternate means for identifying firearms.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 641 respondents will take 30 minutes to complete the form.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 321 annual total burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Jerri Murray, Department Clearance Officer, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, Department of Justice, Two Constitution Square, 145 N Street NE., Room 3W-1407B, Washington, DC 20530.
Dated: July 23, 2013.
Department Clearance Officer for PRA, U.S. Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2013-18011 Filed 7-25-13; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P