Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Notice of the OMB review of information collection and solicitation of public comment.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has recently submitted to OMB for review the following proposal for the collection of information under the provisions of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. Chapter 35). The NRC hereby informs potential respondents that an agency may not conduct or sponsor, and that a person is not required to respond to, a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number. The NRC published a Federal Register notice with a 60-day comment period on this information collection on July 9, 2013 (78 FR 41116).
1. Type of submission, new, revision, or extension: Extension.
2. The title of the information collection: NRC Forms 540 and 540A, Uniform Low-Level Radioactive Waste Manifest (Shipping Paper) and Continuation Page; NRC Forms 541 and 541A, Uniform Low-Level Radioactive Waste Manifest, Container and Waste Description, and Continuation Page; NRC Forms 542 and 542A, Uniform Low-Level Radioactive Waste Manifest, Index and Regional Compact Tabulation, and Continuation Page.
3. Current OMB approval number:
NRC Form 540 and 540A: OMB #3150-0164.
NRC Form 541 and 541A: OMB #3150-0166.
NRC Form 542 and 542A: OMB #3150-0165.
4. The form number if applicable:
NRC Form 540 and 540A.
NRC Form 541 and 541A.
NRC Form 542 and 542A.
5. How often the collection is required: Forms are used by shippers whenever radioactive waste is shipped. Quarterly or less frequent reporting is made to Agreement States depending on specific license conditions. No reporting is made to the NRC.
6. Who will be required or asked to report: All NRC or Agreement State low-level waste facilities licensed pursuant to Part 61 of Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR) or equivalent Agreement State regulations. All generators, collectors, and processors of low-level waste intended for disposal at a low-level waste facility must complete the appropriate forms.
7. An estimate of the number of annual responses:
NRC Form 540 and 540A: 5,740.
NRC Form 541 and 541A: 5,600.
NRC Form 542 and 542A: 756.
8. The estimated number of annual respondents:
NRC Form 540 and 540A: 220.
NRC Form 541 and 541A: 220.
NRC Form 542 and 542A: 22.
9. An estimate of the total number of hours needed annually to complete the requirement or request:
NRC Form 540 and 540A: 4,305.
NRC Form 541 and 541A: 18,480.
NRC Form 542 and 542A: 567.
10. Abstract: NRC Forms 540, 541, and 542, together with their continuation pages, designated by the A suffix, provide a set of standardized forms to meet Department of Transportation (DOT), NRC, and State requirements. The forms were developed by NRC at the request of low-level waste industry groups. The forms provide uniformity and efficiency in the collection of information contained in manifests which are required to control transfers of low-level radioactive waste intended for disposal at a land disposal facility. The NRC Form 540 contains information needed to satisfy DOT shipping paper requirements in 49 CFR Part 172, and the waste tracking requirements of the NRC in 10 CFR Part 20. The NRC Form 541 contains information needed by disposal site facilities to safely dispose of low-level waste and information to meet NRC and State requirements regulating these activities. The NRC Form 542, completed by waste collectors or processors, contains information which facilitates tracking the identity of the waste generator. That tracking becomes more complicated when the waste forms, dimensions, or packaging are changed by the waste processor. Each container of waste shipped from a waste processor may contain waste from several different generators. The information provided on the NRC Form 542 permits the States and Compacts to know the original generators of low-level waste, as authorized by the Low-Level Radioactive Waste Policy Amendments Act of 1985, so they can ensure that waste is disposed of in the appropriate Compact.
The public may examine and have copied for a fee publicly-available documents, including the final supporting statements, at the NRC's Public Document Room, Room O-1F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852. The OMB clearance requests are available at the NRC's Web site: http://www.nrc.gov/public-involve/doc-comment/omb/. The documents will be available on the NRC home page site for 60 days after the signature date of this notice.
Comments and questions should be directed to the OMB reviewer listed below by December 12, 2013. Comments received after this date will be considered if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given to comments received after this date. Chad Whiteman, Desk Officer, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (3150-0164, -0166, -0165), NEOB-10202, Office of Management and Budget, Washington, DC 20503.
Comments can also be emailed to Chad_S_Whiteman@omb.eop.gov or submitted by telephone at 202-395-4718.
The NRC Clearance Officer is Tremaine Donnell, telephone: 301-415-6258.
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 4th day of November, 2013.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
NRC Clearance Officer, Office of Information Services.
[FR Doc. 2013-26858 Filed 11-8-13; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P