This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 12/10/2013 at 08:45 am.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), will submit the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until February 10, 2014. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Gary Schaible, National Firearms Act Branch at email@example.com.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Summary of Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Revision of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearms.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF F 4 (5320.4). Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: Individual or households.
Need for Collection
ATF F 4 (5320.4) is required to apply for the transfer and registration of a National Firearms Act (NFA) firearm. The information on the form is used by NFA Branch personnel to determine the legality of the application under Federal, State and local law. The changes to the form are to allow the applicant to pay the transfer tax by credit or debit card, clarify instructions, and combine information that is currently captured on another form.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 65,085 respondents will take an average of 1.68 hours to complete the form.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 109,552 annual total burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Jerri Murray, Department Clearance Officer, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, Department of Justice, Two Constitution Square, 145 N Street NE., Room 3W-1407B, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: December 5, 2013.
Department Clearance Officer for PRA, U.S. Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2013-29480 Filed 12-10-13; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P