This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 03/06/2014 at 08:45 am.
Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Draft supplemental generic environmental impact statement; issuance, public meeting, and request for comment.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is issuing for public comment a draft plant-specific Supplement 52 to the “Generic Environmental Impact Statement (GEIS) for License Renewal of Nuclear Plants,” NUREG-1437, regarding the renewal of operating license NPF-3 for an additional 20 years of operation for Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Station, Unit 1 (Davis-Besse). Davis-Besse is located in Ottawa County, Ohio. Possible alternatives to the proposed action (license renewal) include no action and reasonable alternative energy sources. The NRC staff plans to hold two public meetings during the public comment period to present an overview of the draft plant-specific supplement to the Start Printed Page 13080GEIS and to accept public comments on the document.
Submit comments by April 21, 2014. Comments received after this date will be considered, if it is practical to do so, but the NRC staff is able to ensure consideration only for comments received on or before this date.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods (unless this document describes a different method for submitting comments on a specific subject):
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2010-0298. Address questions about NRC dockets to Carol Gallagher; telephone: 301-287-3422; email: Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov. For technical questions, contact the individual listed in the FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT section of this document.
- Mail comments to: Cindy Bladey, Chief, Rules, Announcements, and Directives Branch, Office of Administration, Mail Stop: 3WFN-06-44M, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
For additional direction on accessing information and submitting comments, see “Accessing Information and Submitting Comments” in the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this document.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Elaine Keegan, Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001; telephone: 301-415-8517 or by email at Elaine.Keegan@nrc.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
I. Accessing Information and Submitting Comments
A. Accessing Information
Please refer to Docket ID NRC-2010-0298 when contacting the NRC about the availability of information regarding this document. You may access publicly-available information related to this document by any of the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2010-0298.
- NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS): You may access publicly available documents online in the NRC Library at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html. To begin the search, select “ADAMS Public Documents” and then select “Begin Web-based ADAMS Search.” For problems with ADAMS, please contact the NRC's Public Document Room reference staff at 1-800-397-4209, 301-415-4737, or by email to email@example.com. The ADAMS accession number for each document referenced in this document (if that document is available in ADAMS) is provided the first time that a document is referenced. The draft plant-specific Supplement 52 to the GEIS, is available in ADAMS under Accession No. ML14050A290.
- NRC's PDR: You may examine and purchase copies of public documents at the NRC's PDR, Room O1-F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852. In addition, paper copies of the draft plant specific Supplement 52 are available to the public at the Ida Rupp Public Library, 310 Madison Street, Port Clinton, OH, 43452; and the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library, 325 North Michigan Street, Toledo, OH, 43452.
B. Submitting Comments
Please include Docket ID NRC-2010-0298 in the subject line of your comment submission, in order to ensure that the NRC is able to make your comment submission available to the public in this docket.
The NRC cautions you not to include identifying or contact information that you do not want to be publicly disclosed in your comment submission. The NRC will post all comment submissions at http://www.regulations.gov as well as enter the comment submissions into ADAMS. The NRC does not routinely edit comment submissions to remove identifying or contact information.
If you are requesting or aggregating comments from other persons for submission to the NRC, then you should inform those persons not to include identifying or contact information that they do not want to be publicly disclosed in their comment submission. Your request should state that the NRC does not routinely edit comment submissions to remove such information before making the comment submissions available to the public or entering the comment submissions into ADAMS.
The NRC is issuing for public comment a draft plant-specific Supplement 52 to the GEIS, regarding the renewal of operating license NPF-3 for an additional 20 years of operation for Davis-Besse. Supplement 52 to the GEIS includes the preliminary analysis that evaluates the environmental impacts of the proposed action and alternatives to the proposed action. The NRC's preliminary recommendation is that the adverse environmental impacts of license renewal for Davis-Besse are not great enough to deny the option of license renewal for energy planning decisionmakers.
III. Public Meetings
The NRC staff will hold public meetings prior to the close of the public comment period to present an overview of the draft plant-specific supplement to the GEIS and to accept public comment on the document. Two meetings will be held at the Camp Perry Conference Center, 1000 Lawrence Road, Bldg. 600, Port Clinton, Ohio 43453 on Tuesday, March 25, 2014. The first session will convene at 2:00 p.m. and will continue until 4:00 p.m., as necessary. The second session will convene at 7:00 p.m. and will continue until 9:00 p.m., as necessary. The meetings will be transcribed and will include: (1) A presentation of the contents of the draft plant-specific supplement to the GEIS, and (2) the opportunity for interested government agencies, organizations, and individuals to provide comments on the draft report. Additionally, the NRC staff will host informal discussions one hour prior to the start of each session at the same location. No comments on the draft supplement to the GEIS will be accepted during the informal discussions. To be considered, comments must be provided either at the transcribed public meeting or in writing. Persons may pre-register to attend or present oral comments at the meeting by contacting Elaine Keegan, the NRC Environmental Project Manager, at 1-800-368-5642, extension 8517, or by email at Elaine.Keegan@nrc.gov no later than Wednesday, March 19, 2014. Members of the public may also register to provide oral comments within 15 minutes of the start of each session. Individual oral comments may be limited by the time available, depending on the number of persons who register. If special equipment or accommodations are needed to attend or present information at the public meeting, the need should be brought to Ms. Keegan's attention no later than Monday, March 10, 2014, to provide the NRC staff adequate notice to determine whether the request can be accommodated.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 24th day of February, 2014.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Brian D. Wittick,
Chief, Projects Branch 2, Division of License Renewal, Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation.
[FR Doc. 2014-05021 Filed 3-6-14; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P