Defense Security Cooperation Agency, Department of Defense.
The Department of Defense is publishing the unclassified text of a section 36(b)(1) arms sales notification. This is published to fulfill the requirements of section 155 of Public Law 104-164 dated July 21, 1996.
Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ms. B. English, DSCA/DBO/CFM, (703) 601-3740.
The following is a copy of a letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Transmittals 14-06 with attached transmittal, policy justification, and Sensitivity of Technology.
Start Printed Page 21448
Dated: April 10, 2014.
Alternate OSD Federal Register Liaison Officer, Department of Defense.
Transmittal No. 14-06
Notice of Proposed Issuance of Letter of Offer Pursuant to Section 36(b)(1) of the Arms Export Control Act, as amended
(i) Prospective Purchaser: Korea
(ii) Total Estimated Value:
|Major Defense Equipment *||$ 84 million|
|Other||$ 14 million|
|TOTAL||$ 98 million|
(iii) Description and Quantity or Quantities of Articles or Services under
Consideration for Purchase: 76 AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder Block II All-Up-Round Missiles, 24 CATM-9X-2 Captive Air Training Missiles, 8 CATM-9X-2 Block II Missile Guidance Units, and 4 AIM-9X-2 Block II Tactical Guidance Units, containers, missile support and test equipment, provisioning, spare and repair parts, personnel training and training equipment, publications and technical data, U.S. Government and contractor technical assistance and other related logistics support, and other related elements of logistics and program support.
(iv) Military Department: Navy (ALC)
(v) Prior Related Cases: None
(vi) Sales Commission, Fee, etc., Paid, Offered, or Agreed to be Paid: None
(vii) Sensitivity of Technology Contained in the Defense Article or Defense Services Proposed to be Sold: See Annex attached.
(viii) Date Report Delivered to Congress: 07 April 2014
Start Printed Page 21449
Korea—AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder Missiles
The Government of the Republic of Korea (ROK) has requested a possible sale of 76 AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder Block II All-Up-Round Missiles, 24 CATM-9X-2 Captive Air Training Missiles, 8 CATM-9X-2 Block II Missile Guidance Units, and 4 AIM-9X-2 Block II Tactical Guidance Units, containers, missile support and test equipment, provisioning, spare and repair parts, personnel training and training equipment, publications and technical data, U.S. Government and contractor technical assistance and other related logistics and program support. The estimated cost is $98 million.
This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security objectives of the United States by meeting the legitimate security and defense needs of an ally and partner nation. The ROK continues to be an important force for peace, political stability and economic progress in North East Asia.
The ROK intends to use these AIM-9X missiles to supplement its existing missile capability and current weapon inventory. This sale will contribute to the ROK's force modernization goals and enhance interoperability with U.S. forces. The ROK will use this enhanced capability to strengthen its homeland defense and deter regional threats.
The proposed sale of this weapon system will not alter the basic military balance in the region.
The principal contractor will be Raytheon Missile Systems Company in Tucson, Arizona. There are no known offset requirements in connection with this potential sale.
Implementation of this proposed sale will not require the assignment of any additional U.S. Government or contractor personnel to Korea. However, U.S. Government or contractor personnel in-country visits will be required on a temporary basis in conjunction with program technical and management oversight and support requirements.
There will be no adverse impact on U.S. defense readiness as a result of this proposed sale.
Transmittal No. 14-06
Notice of Proposed Issuance of Letter of Offer Pursuant to Section 36(b)(1) of the Arms Export Control Act
Item No. vii
(vii) Sensitivity of Technology:
1. The AIM-9X-2 Block II Sidewinder Missile represents a substantial increase in missile acquisition and kinematics performance over the AIM-9M and replaces the AIM-9X Block I Missile. The missile includes a high off-boresight seeker, enhanced countermeasure rejection capability, low drag/high angle of attack airframe and the ability to integrate the Helmet Mounted Cueing System. The software algorithms are the most sensitive portion of the AIM-9X-2 missile. The software continues to be modified via a pre-planned product improvement (P3 I) program in order to improve its counter-countermeasure capabilities. No software source code or algorithms will be released. The missile is classified as Confidential.
2. The AIM-9X-2 will result in the transfer of sensitive technology and information. The equipment, hardware, and documentation are classified Confidential. The software and operational performance are classified Secret. The seeker/guidance control section and the target detector are Confidential and contain sensitive state-of-the-art technology. Manuals and technical documentation that are necessary or support operational use and organizational management are classified up to Secret. Performance and operating logic of the counter-countermeasures circuits are classified Secret. The hardware, software, and data identified are classified to protect vulnerabilities, design and performance parameters and similar critical information.
3. If a technologically advanced adversary were to obtain knowledge of the specific hardware and software elements, the information could be used to develop countermeasures that might reduce weapon system effectiveness or be used in the development of a system with similar advanced capabilities.
4. A determination has been made that the recipient country can provide the same degree of protection for the sensitive technology being released as the U.S. Government. This sale is necessary in furtherance of the U.S. foreign policy and national security objectives outlined in the Policy Justification.
5. All defense articles and services listed in this transmittal have been authorized for release and export to the Government of Korea.
End Further Info
BILLING CODE 5001-06-P
BILLING CODE 5001-06-C
[FR Doc. 2014-08543 Filed 4-15-14; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-06-P