Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Notice of pending NRC action to submit an information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and solicitation of public comment.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) invites public comment about our intention to request the OMB's approval for renewal of an existing information collection that is summarized below. We are required to publish this notice in the Federal Register under the provisions of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. Chapter 35).
Information pertaining to the requirement to be submitted:
1. The title of the information collection: 10 CFR Part 54, “Requirements for Renewal of Operating Licenses for Nuclear Power Plants.”
2. Current OMB approval number: 3150-0155.
3. How often the collection is required: There is a one-time application for any licensee wishing to renew the operating license for its nuclear power plant. There is a one-time requirement for each licensee with a renewed operating license to submit a letter documenting the completion of inspection and testing activities. All holders of renewed licenses must perform yearly record keeping.
4. Who is required or asked to report: Commercial nuclear power plant licensees who wish to renew their operating licenses and holders of renewed licenses.
5. The number of annual respondents: 58 (52 recordkeepers + 6 responses (2 license renewal applications expected on average + 4 letters documenting the completion of inspection and testing activities expected on average)).
6. The number of hours needed annually to complete the requirement or request: 220,340 hours (168,340 hours of reporting + 52,000 hours of recordkeeping).
7. Abstract: Part 54 of Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR), establishes license renewal requirements for commercial nuclear power plants and describes the information that licensees must submit to the NRC when applying for a license renewal. The application must contain information on how the licensee will manage the detrimental effects of age-related degradation on certain plant systems, structures, and components so as to continue the plant's safe operation during the renewal term. The NRC needs this information to determine whether the licensee's actions will be effective in assuring the plants' continued safe operation during the period of extended operation.
Holders of renewed licenses must retain in an auditable and retrievable form, for the term of the renewed operating license, all information and documentation required to document compliance with 10 CFR Part 54. The NRC needs access to this information for continuing effective regulatory oversight.
Submit, by October 27, 2014, comments that address the following questions:
1. Is the proposed collection of information necessary for the NRC to properly perform its functions? Does the information have practical utility?
2. Is the burden estimate accurate?
3. Is there a way to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected?
4. How can the burden of the information collection be minimized, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology?
The public may examine and have copied for a fee publicly-available documents, including the draft supporting statement, at the NRC's Public Document Room, Room O-1F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852. The OMB clearance requests are available at the NRC's Web site: http://www.nrc.gov/public-involve/doc-comment/omb/. The document will be available on the NRC's home page site for 60 days after the signature date of this notice.Start Printed Page 51377
Comments submitted in writing or in electronic form will be made available for public inspection. Because your comments will not be edited to remove any identifying or contact information, the NRC cautions you against including any information in your submission that you do not want to be publicly disclosed. Comments submitted should reference Docket No. NRC-2014-0182. You may submit your comments by any of the following methods: Electronic comments go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket No. NRC-2014-0182. Mail comments to Acting NRC Clearance Officer, Brenda Miles (T-5 F53), U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
Questions about the information collection requirements may be directed to the Acting NRC Clearance Officer, Brenda Miles (T-5 F53), U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001, by telephone at 301-415-7884, or by email to INFOCOLLECTS.Resource@NRC.GOV.
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 22nd day of August, 2014.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Acting NRC Clearance Officer, Office of Information Services.
[FR Doc. 2014-20447 Filed 8-27-14; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P