This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 10/10/2014 at 08:45 am.
Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Notice of receipt; availability; public meeting; and request for comment.
On September 23, 2014, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) received the Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report (PSDAR) and the Site Specific Decommissioning Cost Estimate (DCE), dated September 23, 2014, for the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS), Units 2 and 3. The PSDAR, which includes the DCE, provides an overview of Southern California Edison Company's (SCE's, or the licensee's) planned decommissioning activities, schedule, projected costs, and environmental impacts for SONGS Units 2 and 3. The NRC will hold a public meeting to discuss the PSDAR and DCE and receive comments.
Submit comments by December 22, 2014. Comments received after this date will be considered if it is practical to do so, but the NRC is able to ensure consideration only for comments received before this date.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods (unless this document describes a different method for submitting comments on a specific subject):
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2014-0223. Address questions about NRC dockets to Carol Gallagher; telephone: 301-287-3422; email: Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov. For technical questions, contact the individual listed in the FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT section of this document.
- Mail comments to: Cindy Bladey, Office of Administration, Mail Stop: 3WFN-06-A44M, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
For additional direction on obtaining information and submitting comments, see “Obtaining Information and Submitting Comments” in the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this document.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Thomas Wengert, Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington DC 20555-0001, telephone: 301-415-4037, email: Thomas.Wengert@nrc.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
I. Obtaining Information and Submitting Comments
A. Obtaining Information
Please refer to Docket ID NRC-2014-0223 when contacting the NRC about the availability of information for this action. You may obtain publicly-available information related to this action by any of the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2014-0223.Start Printed Page 61669
- NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS): You may obtain publicly-available documents online in the ADAMS Public Documents collection at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html. To begin the search, select “ADAMS Public Documents” and then select “Begin Web-based ADAMS Search.” For problems with ADAMS, please contact the NRC's Public Document Room (PDR) reference staff at 1-800-397-4209, 301-415-4737, or by email to email@example.com. The ADAMS accession number for each document referenced (if it is available in ADAMS) is provided the first time that it is mentioned in the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section
- NRC's PDR: You may examine and purchase copies of public documents at the NRC's PDR, Room O1-F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852.
B. Submitting Comments
Please include Docket ID NRC-2014-0223 in the subject line of your comment submission, in order to ensure that the NRC is able to make your comment submission available to the public in this docket.
The NRC cautions you not to include identifying or contact information that you do not want to be publicly disclosed in your comment submission. The NRC posts all comment submissions at http://www.regulations.gov as well as entering the comment submissions into ADAMS. The NRC does not routinely edit comment submissions to remove identifying or contact information.
If you are requesting or aggregating comments from other persons for submission to the NRC, then you should inform those persons not to include identifying or contact information that they do not want to be publicly disclosed in their comment submission. Your request should state that the NRC does not routinely edit comment submissions to remove such information before making the comment submissions available to the public or entering the comment submissions into ADAMS.
Southern California Edison Company (SCE), San Diego Gas & Electric Company, City of Riverside Utilities Department, and the City of Anaheim, California, (the licensees), are the holders of Facility Operating License Nos. NPF-10 and NPF-15, for SONGS, Units 2 and 3, respectively. Southern California Edison Company is authorized to act as the agent of the other owners. By letter dated June 12, 2013 (ADAMS Accession No. ML131640201), SCE submitted a certification to the NRC indicating it permanently ceased power operations at the SONGS Units 2 and 3 on June 7, 2013. By letters dated July 22, 2013 (ADAMS Accession No. ML13204A304), and June 28, 2013 (ADAMS Accession No. ML13183A391), respectively, SCE certified that it had permanently defueled the SONGS Units 2 and 3 reactor vessels.
The facility consists of two permanently shutdown and defueled pressurized-water reactors located in San Diego County, California.
On September 23, 2014, SCE submitted the PSDAR and DCE for SONGS Units 2 and 3 in accordance with § 50.82(a)(4)(i) of Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (ADAMS Accession No. ML14272A121). The PSDAR includes a description of the planned decommissioning activities, a proposed schedule for their accomplishment, the site-specific DCE (submitted concurrently), and a discussion that provides the basis for concluding that the environmental impacts associated with the site-specific decommissioning activities will be bounded by appropriate, previously issued generic and plant-specific environmental impact statements.
III. Request for Comment and Public Meeting
The NRC is requesting public comments on the PSDAR and DCE for SONGS Units 2 and 3. The NRC will conduct a public meeting to discuss the PSDAR and DCE and receive comments on Monday, October 27, 2014, from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m., PDT, at the Omni La Costa, 2100 Costa Del Mar Road, Carlsbad, CA 92009. The NRC requests that comments that are not provided during the meeting be submitted in writing by December 22, 2014.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 2nd day of October, 2014.
For The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Douglas A. Broaddus,
Chief, Plant Licensing IV-2 and Decommissioning Transition Branch, Division of Operator Reactor Licensing, Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation.
[FR Doc. 2014-24356 Filed 10-10-14; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P